8 replies to this topic

#1 kelbelle

kelbelle

http://blog.oregonlive.com/runoregon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4802 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:08 PM

If anyone has marathon programs or race programs that they think are GOOD ones, could we borrow them? We'll give them back we promise.

Please get them to Kelly or Carin at the Fulton, or Kelly at any TDG events.

Thanks!
Dear runners: come to a group run, say hi to us at a race, or just post on the message board!

Check out our group run, race calendars, and news on local running on the <a href="http://blog.oregonli....com/runoregon" target="_blank">RunOregon Blog</a> by me, Joe Dudman, Jim Mattern, Marianne Jones, Marya Van Metre, Jen Sotolongo, and Jonathan Marcus.

<a href="http://www.facebook.....com/runoregon" target="_blank">Check out RunOregon on facebook.</a>

#2 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10791 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:18 AM

Is it you and/or Carin that are looking to follow the program? Just wanted to clarify if this was for you, or if you're looking for programs to share with other folks... [most because it probably won't do you much good if Danny sends you his program, or if Tim Knox (or Foland, or any of our other members who are into peaking at 100+ mile weeks) sends you their plans wacko.gif grin.png

#3 rizzo

rizzo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3609 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:41 AM

good question kelbelle. i've been asking around for the same type of thing. i've used nike's website. it will ask for your goal time or predict a goal based on other performances. it will then give you daily workouts. the only thing i don't like is that it automatically gives a 20 week program. i want a shorter program. i wouldn't mind seeing some other lizards programs also. uuuuh, like torrey sounded like he had something that sounded good in terms of mileage, etc.

#4 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:45 AM

No, I think she means the magazine thing that you get at some marathons with some stories and ads from the sponsors etc. You know, the thing that none of us 'real' runners bother to read grin.png

#5 rizzo

rizzo

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3609 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (Diep @ Jun 28 2006, 08:45 AM)
No, I think she means the magazine thing that you get at some marathons with some stories and ads from the sponsors etc.  You know, the thing that none of us 'real' runners bother to read grin.png

ha! oh well, maybe someone will answer my question also. sorry kelbelle. try this:marathonguide.com

#6 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10791 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:06 AM

No, I think she means the magazine thing that you get at some marathons with some stories and ads from the sponsors etc.  You know, the thing that none of us 'real' runners bother to read grin.png

How do you know so much about what Kelly is thinking? huh.gif

laugh.gif

#7 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10791 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:14 AM

Matt - if you're looking for a shorter ramp up program, you can do a Google search and find one of the "advanced" marathon training programs. Most beginning programs assume you are starting from nothing (similar to what Portland FIT or the Portland Marathon Training Program assume), where you build up for 4-5 months through shorter races to a half and finally ending with the full marathon. There are plenty of 3 month build up programs out there, which I would recommend for your first. I only did 2 months for my first, but that wasn't enough time, even havign a good base. The most important aspect of any training program you do is to ramp up your miles slowly enough that you aren't getting injured (for some the long runs they are ramping up to are 20, 22, and sometimes longer, depending upon the person), and then you need to taper. Long runs are the key (for me at least), with my last peak long run 3-4 weeks out from race day, and then shortening those long runs so that you get to race day with fresher legs. But beyond long runs you get into the debate... how fast are you doing those runs, what other mileage are you doing throughout the week, etc...

#8 kelbelle

kelbelle

http://blog.oregonlive.com/runoregon

• Red Lizards
  • 4802 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Diep,
That's exactly what we mean!
You all should know I don't want to do a marathon any time soon. 1/2 is my limit, for now!!!
Dear runners: come to a group run, say hi to us at a race, or just post on the message board!

Check out our group run, race calendars, and news on local running on the <a href="http://blog.oregonli....com/runoregon" target="_blank">RunOregon Blog</a> by me, Joe Dudman, Jim Mattern, Marianne Jones, Marya Van Metre, Jen Sotolongo, and Jonathan Marcus.

<a href="http://www.facebook.....com/runoregon" target="_blank">Check out RunOregon on facebook.</a>

#9 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:35 AM

Yep, not a training program, an advertising program. wink.gif You know the stuff you usually throw away? :lol

do3nyr.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users