Tony the Tiger

Under the Radar Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (BadAss @ Jan 23 2007, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, me too...
Yeah, I've been going commando for more years than I can recall.
First Run 5K
Shamrock 15K

Running is a Lifestyle, Not a Job or an Event.

#17 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10384 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

Size 32 white Jockey's: "The underpants of champions!" cool.png
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#18 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10793 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

I know that Brooks officially names their gear Runderwear. And since it has a little ® next to it, I'm assuming that means every other company just calls their products technical running undergarments of some sort...

For my "normal" runs, the built in running short liners are fine. But for runs over 15-20 miles, I tend to like having some added security. I have no idea whether females would find a benefit from added support, but as a guy I know that even a small amount of movement every stride for a long period can rub me the wrong way pinch.png Especially when the liner in that favorite pair of running shorts that Joe T described gets stretched or worn out a little bit.

I have tried cotton underwear to run in before, but I like the technical fabrics more. In addition to Brooks, Patagucci and the other options mentioned, there are lots of options for men and women out there.

#19 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8121 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:27 AM

Who the hell wears underwear when they run?!? rolleyes.gif

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#20 Steve

Steve

Qatar Flange

• Red Lizards
  • 2950 posts
  • Interests:Orienteering, Running, Geocaching, all the usual backpacking/camping/hiking/climbing stuff

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:31 AM

Back in the day, I wore a...get this...jock strap! When I started running again a couple years ago, I went out and bought a couple new jocks. It didn't take me long to figure out that there are better products on the market now.
Life is short and we have not too much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel the way with us.
Oh, be swift to love. Make haste to be kind.
- Henri Frederic Amiel

#21 Trail Kelly

Trail Kelly

Leapin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Tim @ Jan 23 2007, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Almost every HS runner I know (and certainly all the ones I coach). The guys go so far as to wear BOXERS under their running shorts. They won't wear the ones with liners (they are currently sporting soccer shorts) and when we did have them (long ones) they still insisted on wearing boxers underneath! rolleyes.gif I could tell you the patterns on virtually all of the guys' underwear since they wore the shorts low on their hips. All the girls wear underwear, too, because they will tell you it's GROSS not to, no matter what I tell them. I once even had a girl try to wear a "wonderbra" (a mega-push-up bra) underneath a running bra (major compression). I had to tell her that they were kind of working at cross-purposes! tongue.gif

And Joe, FWIW, that's WAY TMI, buddy. ohmy.gif It think it's worse than the conversation I listened to between Torrey, Sean and Kevin at the race! shocked.png

#22 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10793 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Trail Kelly @ Jan 23 2007, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Joe, FWIW, that's WAY TMI, buddy. ohmy.gif It think it's worse than the conversation I listened to between Torrey, Sean and Kevin at the race! shocked.png

You'll have to refresh my memory as to what I talked about besides liking to eat cookies...

#23 Trail Kelly

Trail Kelly

Leapin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (Torrey @ Jan 23 2007, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'll have to refresh my memory as to what I talked about besides liking to eat cookies...

Oops, sorry Torrey!! It was Sean Costner who was in on that conversation, not you. Sorry!! blush.gif

#24 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3730 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (Trail Kelly @ Jan 23 2007, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Almost every HS runner I know (and certainly all the ones I coach). The guys go so far as to wear BOXERS under their running shorts. They won't wear the ones with liners (they are currently sporting soccer shorts) and when we did have them (long ones) they still insisted on wearing boxers underneath! rolleyes.gif I could tell you the patterns on virtually all of the guys' underwear since they wore the shorts low on their hips. All the girls wear underwear, too, because they will tell you it's GROSS not to, no matter what I tell them. I once even had a girl try to wear a "wonderbra" (a mega-push-up bra) underneath a running bra (major compression). I had to tell her that they were kind of working at cross-purposes! tongue.gif

That's hilarious! Back in the day I too wore boxers that were longer than the racing shorts.

#25 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10793 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (Diep @ Jan 23 2007, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back in the day I too wore boxers that were longer than the racing shorts.

Tell us about that, old timer hairy.png

#26 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3730 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Torrey @ Jan 23 2007, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no idea whether females would find a benefit from added support, but as a guy I know that even a small amount of movement every stride for a long period can rub me the wrong way pinch.png Especially when the liner in that favorite pair of running shorts that Joe T described gets stretched or worn out a little bit.

I use the added momentum to my advantage. Perfect your form to reduce chafing! (Or never run farther than 4 miles...)

#27 KeyMaster

KeyMaster

Salamander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

Wow, this whole "going commando" thing is very foreign to me. I need my undies. Probably more of a security thing.
And, Clover, cotton undies do not necessarily mean "granny undies." But I will try the runderwear. Just so I can be more hard core.
We came, we saw, we kicked its a**!

#28 NextLizard_Joe T._*

NextLizard_Joe T._*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:15 PM

I started going commando when I was riding more than I ran...

Let me tell you, saddle sores don't like to be bothered and even the paper thin liner of running shorts is too much for a sore crotch..

I've seen the NB & Champion athletic underwear stuff too; if I was still down with print running shorts, circa 1994, I'd break those puppies out and getting the fancy undergarments.

Cotton really isn't that bad btw, it's just got to be the right cut, imo.

#29 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10384 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Tim @ Jan 23 2007, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They never run! You're thinking of nylon stockings tongue.png Although I do have a few pair of Jockey's in my "archives" that are very well worn and are only held together by a few thin strands of cotton. I call them "hillbilly thongs" twitch.gif
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#30 Tony the Tiger

Tony the Tiger

Under the Radar Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • 2131 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

Probably wore the old cotton boxers in H.S. under racing shorts (I'll have to check out my yearbook). Going commando for me happened after getting jungle rot so bad in my crotch, I thought I would lose my legs and other parts. Okay, too much info, but the memory lingers. wink.gif
First Run 5K
Shamrock 15K

Running is a Lifestyle, Not a Job or an Event.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users