Photo

Track Workouts from 2008 - present (ongoing thread)

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

#511 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5355 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

This week is again predicted to be not absurdly cold. Since we seem to have Lincoln largely to ourselves, and since some are training for Bend XC, for which this is a good set-up, we'll have two workouts.

#1 is the dreaded whistle workout (unless other groups are so numerous I cancel it, which is unlikely). How does this work? I blow a whistle, and you run hard (think L effort). I blow it again, and you recover. I blow it again and you go hard. There will be about 20-25 min of "hard." No hard interval will exceed 5 min.

If you really hate this (or really don't trust me) you can do 6-8 x 800 @ L (200). But the whistle drill is a good mental workout.

#512 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

Our first workout for 2017 will be at Lincoln, as usual. (Word is that Duniway will be open sometime in March, but I'm not holding my breath on that.)

This week will be floats, with an option for those wanting longer distances. Specifically:

4 to 7 sets of 500-500- (400) @ L.

Or, if you want to go longer, make them into 1200s. (Ie., float fast!) This will allow people to regroup for recoveries, even if they are doing slightly different versions of the workout.

#513 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

We will do another round of floats. This one will be 400s. The protocol is this:

400-400-400- @L (500)

So if you start at the 1500m start line, you'll finish 3 3/4 laps later at the finish line. The 500m recovery brings you back to the start decently rested.

We have also had a repost for 2400s. A lot of folks did those on the grass on Sunday, so there may not be many wanting to do it this time, but those would be tempo intervals:

up to 5 x 2400 on 2 min recovery (for the fast folks, that's a lap jg). Pace is Tempo pace, maybe a TOUCH faster.

#514 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

I live fairly far out in NE. I'm unlikely to be able to get to track this week. That means I can't assess conditions at Lincoln, because I live too close to the Gorge, and could get an inch of freezing rain, when Lincoln gets nothing. (It's happened many times before.)

So, as of now, track is NOT cancelled, but use your wisdom. If there is ice on the track, the workout is indeed canceled. (Use reports from downtown to guide you.)

As with last week, the workout requires a certain amount of caution. Let's go for tempo:

To wit: "the 700s"

This goes as follows:

Run 700 (as best you can find the markers; precision doesn't matter) at no faster than 10K effort (12K might be better, if you can fine tune it that well). Jog or "float" to the start and repeat. Continue for either 4 miles (8 reps) or 10 percent of you total mileage, whichever is higher. If needed, divide it into sets, separated by a 400m recovery.

NOTE: If there is ice on the track, bail and come back next week!

#515 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Track is cancelled. They're talking freezing rain until midnight. My experience is that these things are always worse than predicted. Maybe this one will be an exception.

#516 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

This week we will exercise our M paces in an effort to get a bit of turnover and strength in prior to Bend (or as a buildup for specialized Boston training)

We'll do an old favorite (OK, it's my favorite, but what the heck):

2-3 x 600 (400)
3 x 800 (400)
2-3 x 600 (400))

That is 3 to 3.75 miles of speed. If you are a really, really high mileage runner you can consider a fourth 800. But that's a pretty hard workout.

ALTERNATIVELY
There is an indoor track meet at Chiles at 8 pm. I will be there with anyone who wants to give that a whirl. If you're going to Bend it's a chance for a final tuneup in warm conditions. Distances are 800, 1600, and 3000, and you can do all of them, but only truly race one. I would recommend racing either racing the 1600 and doing the 3000 at tempo effort or holding off for the 3000. Please tell me who is in.

#517 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

We will have three workouts tonight. I know that's a lot, but we have people prepping for different things.

One workout is a taper workout for those going Bend on Saturday.
3-4 x 1000 @ T or 10K (1 min).I know I said 1200s on Saturday, but I'm worried about people overdoing it. So you can go fairly briskly, but not for super-far.

Another, for marathoners (NOT going to Bend) is mile repeats. 3-6 of them at 10K pace or a touch slower, 75 sec recovery. Number to be determined by weekly training volume (talk to me on site)

The main workout will be floats, which is a good January workout for those not peaking for something specific. Let's try a variation:

3-5 sets of
300-300-300-300- (400). We've don't that before, but here's the variation. Do the first 300 in each set at L pace,the second at M pace, the third at ether L or M (your choice) and the 4th at L.

The key here is that you have to slow down in the latter part of each set. Most people find that extremely difficult. But if you can't do that, you can't surge in a race (e.g., if you hear an approaching train as you're approaching the Steel Bridge and don't want to get trapped, or if you're trunk to catch someone to draft off them in a race, or, or, or.

There are also physiological reasons why this pace varying in a float workout may make for a better workout, especially with short elements like 300s. What this means, btw, is that the second 300 in each set will be about 3 seconds faster than the first, but the last one (or the last two) will be the same speed as the first.

#518 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

Tonight's workout will be 11-15 x 600 @ 10K (20-25 sec recovery)

Do 11 of reps if you're running 40 or fewer miles a week. Then you can add one rep for every additional 5 mpw you are running above 40.

Alternatively, there is indoor track tonight at Chiles Center, at 8 pm. (Registration ends at 7:30, so don't arrive at the last minute. Distances are 800, 1600, 3000. The meet ends at about 9. Doing the 1600 hard and the 3000 at tempo is a good workout, and gets you out of the weather, so you can run fast.

I may add an additional workout at the track, depending on who shows up. Probably mile repeats or even 3K repeats, for the marathoners. Though some of them were at Bend XC and shouldn't do anything that hard unless they're recovered.

#519 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

It's Valentine's Day, so we will celebrate our love for the track in what are likely to be near spring-like conditions. Ok, it's only going to be 45 degrees, but after what we've had for much of this year, that's spring!

There will be two main workouts, with at least one variation for those who were asking for a Valentine's Day special.

The options;

8-10 x 400 @S (400). This is probably the workout for most people. I don't like doing this in temperatures below 40, so it's overdue. Test your legs.

or

3-6 x 1 mile @ L (400)

Drew has come up with a workout whose acronym spells L-O-V-E, which is basically 1400s with floats. I'll let him explain on-site.

#520 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

This week will again have two workouts. (Spring marathon season almost dictates that!)

One is for people training for long races:

3-6 x 1 mile (400) @ L

The other will be a 5K favorite

10 x 500 @ L (or a touch faster) (1 min). Form up in groups for this one; if your speed isn't quite the same you can always compromise a bit on the recovery. 55-65 sec is all the same thing.

#521 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

It's Tuesday, it's track, it's Mardi Gras.

Re the latter, I'm told there may be beads and post-workout treats. We will do two workouts, plus some individualized stuff for those with specific needs such as tapers.

The main workout will be a precision pacing competition. This will be 12 x 400 (200) run at L effort, but under timing rules that reward your ability to replicate pace. Bring a watch, because you'll have to self time this. No peeking at the watch DURING the repeat to take splits (not that that is all that easy in the dark, anyway). Honor system applies. If you run in groups, you must rotate lead. Rules will be explained. This has always been a fun workout. Fast doesn't necessarily win.

The other will be mile repeats @ L on 400m recovery. Probably 3-5 of them, depending on who does them.

#522 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

Tonight we will have 3 workouts

1. 3-6 x 1 mile (by request) (400) @ L

2. 8-? X 600 (200) @ L

3. Yassos (for at least one person, who would love ❤️ company for at least part of the workout.

#523 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

Tonight we will have 3 workouts

1. 3-6 x 1 mile (by request) (400) @ L

2. 8-? X 600 (200) @ L

3. Yassos (for at least one person, who would love ❤️ company for at least part of the workout.

#524 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5355 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

I was halfway through posting this earlier today, when work interrupted. So here it is belatedly.

We will have 2 maybe three workouts.

A Yassos (maybe)

B 3 x 400 (400) @S

#525 Tim

Tim

Vice President

• Admin
  • 7841 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

I was halfway through posting this earlier today, when work interrupted. So here it is belatedly.

We will have 2 maybe three workouts.

A Yassos (maybe)

B 3 x 400 (400) @S

Are you sure you have workout B correct? 3 x 400m? That's a REALLY short workout! Unless you're training the next David Rudisha. :)

Don't forget that Shamrock is next Sunday!

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users