Photo

Track Workouts from 2008 - present (ongoing thread)

• Please log in to reply
549 replies to this topic

#16 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5387 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

Gads, reviewing workouts I notice that once upon a time we had warm weather and thought it was spring. Now it is spring but it's January. And that sentiment better NOT keep you from the track. We've been doing a lot of L pace. We'll keep it up. But we'll turn up the psychological notch a bit. To wit: an inverted pyramid:

1 x 1000 (400) (L pace)
1 x 800 (400) (M pace)
2 x 600 (400) (M pace)
1 x 800 (400) (M pace)
1 x 1000 (L pace)

Alternative: do it all at L pace, shortening the 800 and 600 recoveries to 200 m (but don't take less than half the time in the preceeding interval. I suspect everyone's going to do the posted workout anyway, but if you're doing this alternative, it's ok to do 300m recoveries instead of 200m. Folks are having a tendency to jog too fast through the recovery and not be ready when they get to the start.

#17 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

This is the time of year when folks have very diverse needs. Some are still starting up (especially) after all this cold weather; some have been going all winter; some are peaking for various things such as Lake Run or end of track season. At least one is doing Newport. Here's a workout you can tweak to your heart's content:

Here's the workout, with pacing and recovery scaled for the "main" group

3 x 600 (M pace, 400m recoveries)
3 x 500 (M pace or a touch faster but not S, 300m recoveries)
3 x 400 (S pace, 400m recoveries)

As an alternative (marathoners take note) turn each set into a series of floats. So the first set is 600-600-600 at L pace, 600m recovery. The next is 500-500-500 (also at L, 400-600m recovery). Then 400-400-400, still at L.

If you're not sure which approach to use, talk to me at the track.

#18 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

This week we're going to repeat last week's intervals...with a difference.

Three sets at L pace, on 100-m floats.

Set 1: 600-500-400
Set 2: 600-500-400-300
Set 3: 600-500-400

OK, so I added an extra 300 as an insult. Since these are rather long sets, do 600m between sets.

Alternatively: do them at M pace or faster, like we did last week, on long recoveries, and bag the 300. The "main" workout is a VO2max/stamina workout. The alternative is more for strength/peak speed.

#19 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

This week, we'll continue to mix up L and M+ pace. I'll call this one nickes and dimes, which tips the idea. But since last week's workout was a bit tough, and a lot of your are post-Lake Run, we'll be nice and do the dimes first.

2 x 1000 @ L (400-600m recoveries)
6 x 500 @ M or slightly faster (not all the way to S, though) (200-300m recoveries)

#20 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:43 AM

Well, I think our numbers might be depleted by missing beer milers, but for those of you not interested in regurgitating fizz, here's the workout:

M pace classic:

6 x 800
400m recoveries.

It's been a while since we did this!

#21 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

I keep thinking today is Monday. But, for those still tuned in, it's Tuesday, May 27! We'll do some fast stuff if we're not dodging lightning strikes. 6s and 3s. M and S.

5 x 600 @ M pace, 400m recoveries
4 to 6 x 300 S pace, 300m recoveries

A nice little tune up for those racing the 5K on Saturday, Starlight (on Saturday), or Sherwood (Sunday).

#22 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

OK, we're going to go long today, mostly. Here's the drill:

3 x 1200 @ L on 400m recoveries. If you're faster than 6:00, you can extend this to miles, if you want.

6 x 200 @ S, 200m recoveries (folks who do the mile option may not want to do this).

#23 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:39 AM

This week we'll continue longish, but not as long as last week.

3 x 1000 @ L pace (400m recoveries)
3 x 600 @ M pace (400m recoveries)

#24 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

Way slow posting this. Sorry, lots of email. (And I've been trying to finish my latest bit of fiction, which is always attention absorbing at that stage..) So maybe we should do a fictional workout? Nah!

We'll keep pressing S and L paces, with a half-marathon lurking for lots of folks. Not to mention another scramble...

2 x 1 mile (chips) L pace (400). Go a touch slower than L if you're slower than 90 sec/lap on the track. This is a peak-tough workout
4 x 400 (track) S to M pace. Serious marathoner types do it in floats @ L pace. Folks looking at scrambles and 10K or shorter, do 400m recoveries.

#25 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:09 AM

Time for some fun in the sun! This week we'll do an M pyramid, though you might think about making it a bit assymmetric. Here's the "perfect" pyramid:

1 x 500 (300)
1 x 600 (400)
1 x 700 (300)
2 x 800 (400)
1 x 700 (300)
1 x 600 (400)
1 x 500

But view the last 500 as optional. It takes you up to 5200 m, which is OK if you're doing 40+ miles a week. Otherwise, quit with the second 600.

The recoveries are set to get your starting points at midfield on the track. You'll want to take it very slowly on the 300s after the two 700s.

#26 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

Yuck; this weather's as bad as Eugene. I can taste the smoke. So since we'll be smokin' as we're breathin' we'll not do a smokin' hot workout. Besides lots of upcoming races, so here's one for the taperers in our midst:

Cruise intervals

11 x600 on 20-25 sec recoveries at slightly (note: SLIGHTLY) faster than T pace. That means no way faster than 10K, pace! (I once did this as L pace, just to see, and it's doable, but it wound up feeling a lot like a 5K).

Vary the pace and recovery a bit so that you can find at least one friend for this. It's a really fun workout with a partner. And if you've not done it, it's not that nasty if you nail the pace.

#27 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

July 8, 2008

Today's weather report is why I sometimes delay posting these things. It's supposed to be, uh, warmish. Though Duniway cools nicely as we progress, and we've had a few days to heat acclimatize, right?

Anyway, we'll do a workout that allows long recoveries, so we're less likely to progressively overheat. That means a brisk pace, though please listen to your bodies and adjust (as in, slow down!) as needed. We'll do a desceding ladder, just to allow the fraction of recovery time to increase as we go... to wit:

4 x 600 @ M (400)
2 x 500 @ M+ (300--but quite slow!)
3 to 4 x 400 @ S (400)

#28 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

Well, today's weather doesn't look anywhere nearly as bad as it has been... So, let's try a bit of longer stuff, but still, watch the heat! We'll do this in stages, with increasing recoveries:

2 x 1200. First one on the chips (it's cooler), then the track. (400m recovery)
one set 4 x 300 on 100m floats (500 recovery)
6 x 200 (200 m recovery)

#29 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

We're gonna do "S" pace today. Simple, straightforward...

8 to 10 x 400. 400m recoveries.

#30 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5387 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

We'll do more of what we've been doing:

5 x 400 @ S (400m recoveries)
up to 10 x 200 @ S (200m recoveries)

See ya there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users