Photo

Track Workouts from 2008 - present (ongoing thread)

• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#631 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5787 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

I delayed posting today's workout, waiting to see if the snow would melt on Duniway. That which didn't has been shoveled, so the track is clear and waiting for us. We'll do

4-? x 1200 (400)

If anyone wants a tempo workout, one will be provided on site.

#632 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5787 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:04 PM

Tonight's workout will be... you guessed it

Miles or "miley things." We've not done the latter for a while. It goes like this:

3-4 x 400-300-400- @ L (400) Note that this adds up to a mile, when you count the floats.
or
3-? x 1 mile @ L (400)

You can, if you like, play mix and match between the floats and the miles.

Alternatively,

11-? x 600 (20-25 sec) @ T
People tapering for Heartbreaker will do this but probably limit themselves to 8 reps.

#633 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8115 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

Tonight's workout will be... you guessed itMiles or "miley things." We've not done the latter for a while. It goes like this:3-4 x 400-300-400- @ L (400) Note that this adds up to a mile, when you count the floats.or3-? x 1 mile @ L (400)You can, if you like, play mix and match between the floats and the miles.Alternatively,11-? x 600 (20-25 sec) @ TPeople tapering for Heartbreaker will do this but probably limit themselves to 8 reps.

Assuming the floats are 100m, doesn’t 400-300-400- come out to 1400m? How does that equate to 1609 meters? What am I missing?

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#634 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5787 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:46 PM

Tonight's primary workout will be 800s, run Yasso style. That is the recovery will be 400m run in same time as the repeat itself. If you run 3:15, you get 3:15 recovery, etc.

You can do this truly Yasso style (running the repeats at 1/60th of marathon time (e.g., 3:15s correspond to a 3:15 marathoner), or at M pace (which will get you about the same result.

Lasso's marathon prediction workout involves doing 10 of these. If anyone wants to do that, that's an option. I don't find Yassos to be as predictive as Bart Yasso himself does (I could run them at paces corresponding to at least 25 minutes faster than my actual marathon time), but I do think it's a good workout. And, if you can't run the Yassos associated with your marathon goal, you may be wise to rethink the goal.

That said, the main workout will be lower volume:

6-8 x 800 (400, as described) at about M (or Yasso pace, your choice)

For those wanting something else, we'll do long alternations. We don't do a lot of that on Tuesdays, mostly Fridays. The formula will be 600/200, run at 12K/MP in sets of 1.5 miles miles.

E.g.,

2-4 x 600/200/600/200/600/200 (400)

That's a wide range in volume. Most of you will probably do 3 sets.

#635 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5787 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

Last week was Billats for most, taper cruise intervals for those racing.

This week is a second round of Billats. Other options will be decided on site based on who shows up.

#636 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5787 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

This week's workout will have multiple options.

A. Round 3 of Billats. For those wondering about the goal, it's four rounds in 4-5 weeks.

B. 8-11 x 600 (20-25 sec). This is mostly for those wishing to start a Shamrock taper on Tuesday.

C. 2-3 x 3K tempo intervals (2 min one-lap jog recovery) for those not wanting to do Billats.

#637 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5787 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

Tonights workout will have two choices:

Billats

Or

4-5 (400)
8-10 x 200 (200)

@S

#638 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5787 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:24 AM

Today's track workout will be...

Three options

3 - ? x 1 mile @ L (400) This is largely for people with April marathons or other long races

or

10-? x 500 @ L (1 min) run in groups

or

8-11 x 600 (20-25 sec) @ T. This is largely for those with races this weekend for which they are tapering.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users