• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DJ DeAustria

DJ DeAustria

Salamander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Thai Massage, massage, Ironman, Triathlon, swimming, biking, running,

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

This run has  been on my list to do this with the TRL, the timing has always been rough, since I'm so brittle. Once again   I'm hoping this year will be the year, has it been decided to be on Sunday the 31st or Monday the 1st?  I ran Germantown to Newberry Sunday on WW, which got me thinking. 

#2 RaghavW

RaghavW

President

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

We haven't officially discussed it but it's been the 31st for the past many years. I don't expect that to change this year

#3 DJ DeAustria

DJ DeAustria

Salamander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Thai Massage, massage, Ironman, Triathlon, swimming, biking, running,

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

Great thanks,  I will plan for it. 

#4 TDG

TDG

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

Doing it on the 31st allows one to party hard on New Year's Eve.   But, starting the year with a 50k would be cool.   Too bad it's not an official race.   I could run the 50k on Jan 1 and have my yearly marathon out of the way.   (But then what would I do?)   

I hope I actually can run this event this upcoming year.   I vote for the 31st.  Then we could keep the proper order:   Purge.....Splurge

#5 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10699 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

The Purge & (then) Splurge is a New Years Eve tradition.  It will definitely happen, and it will be on Dec 31.  I haven't yet looked at what day of the week that is, but if running Wildwood end-to-end is on your "to do", then get the morning of Dec 31 blocked out on your calendar.

#6 TDG

TDG

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

I just came up with a very good idea.   We've always run this from Newberry to the zoo.   I'd be curious to run it the other way.   Anyone else?   Here is where the idea comes into play:  as long as there are at least 2 people willing to run from each end, we could exchange car keys and meet after the run somewhere.   Confused yet?  Here is an example:

Markiemo and I want to run from zoo to Newberry.   We'd park my car at the zoo and start running.   Torrey and Danimal want to run the opposite direction.  They park at Newberry and start running.  When we meet on the trail we'd exchange keys.   

So, let's say that there is a disparity between the southbound runners and northbound runners.   USE YOUR MATH SKILLS!   There's nothing in the constitution or state laws or lizard bylaws stating that the two teams have to start at the same time.  In fact, this could be a fun competition, kind of a prediction.   Pursuit format if you will.

Whadda ya think?  

#7 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10699 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:10 AM

The key swap method works as a way to avoid the carpool.  Although it still requires coordination, unless the people starting at each end carpool with each other to get there. Otherwise (using your example), if you and Markiemo both drive separately to the zoo, and Danimal and I drove separately to Newberry, if you and I trade keys, then your car and my car are theoretically waiting at the finish.  While Danimal and Markiemo's cars will still be at the other end.  Anyhow, just pointing that out, since carpool logistics are still there.  Although I am guessing there is a way you could work a carpool between groups running each direction at the start and then people could still meet at the finish point and a designated person going the other direction could meet at the other end and shuttle the crew to the start point.

It seems like more logistics than I care to organize, since I like the group photo and mass start from the same spot.  And I imagine that with 12/31 being a Sunday this year, there will be an even larger than usual turn out.  Making sure 50 people aren't confused about where to meet, have them be there on time to carpool and all get out to one location is hard enough.  But if you find a willing partner to go reverse, do it.

One way to avoid some carpool logistics - Uber to the start.  That's a little harder if you leaving your car somewhere off the beaten path (like the top of Oil/Gas/Firelane 7), but it can work well from Lower MacLeay or the zoo.

Dan - it sounds like the main reason for your proposal is simply to run it from the zoo to Newberry? That seems like it would be the easier way to do it, since you get all of the serious climbing out of the way at the beginning and don't nearly finish a marathon before climbing up and over Pittock and then the hills in the Arboretum.  I was going to do that this past summer, but the road closure on Newberry kept the people I was going to run with from driving up.  One of these days I will run zoo to Newberry, but it won't be P&S.

Speaking of Newberry... I was reminded to check and see what the current status is.  It is still closed due to that landslide from last winter.  

https://multco.us/ro...t-road-closures

You can get to the Wildwood TH, but you have to come in off Skyline.  The portion that washed out is between Hwy 30 and the Wildwood TH.  You essentially need to drive up Germantown to Skyline and then drop down Newberry.  That will make logistics a little harder, since it is a whole lot easier to just drive down Hwy 30 for anyone coming from Saltzman - that 15-16 mile run option is probably the largest group.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users