innocentbystander

Running is serious business.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2982 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (mschofer @ Dec 8 2006, 11:26 AM)
Camera Obscura is good stuff.......

Yeah, it's hot. I could listen to Tears for Affairs, Come Back Margret, Dory Previn, County Mile and Razzle Dazzle Rose ad infinitum. I actually do sometimes. The thing is, Trancy Ann Campbell isn't that great of a singer, she has fairly limited vocal range. But she makes it work.

#32 NextLizard_Tiger Paul_*

NextLizard_Tiger Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:49 PM

Dude.. check out this video of "Posse on Broadway" from way back in 1989 by Sir Mix a Lot:

Posse on Broadway

I freakin loved this video back in the day on Yo! MTV Raps and decided to see if I could find it after running the Seattle Marathon last month and seeing Mix-a-Lot's exhibit at the EMP. I think we all used to assume he meant Broadway in New York but turns out it was Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Almost 20 years later, the song still sounds kewl!

#33 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

• Red Lizards
  • 2982 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

Ok guys - time to make use of our new messageboard technology.

Easily one of the most underrated bands of the 1990s. Every song in their self-titled first release was like a little nugget of dynamite. I don't think there was a single song over 3mins 30secs? Some songs were as short as 90secs. The lyrics to "Stutter" were simply SCATHING. Justine Frischman was hot in that female-leadsinger-of-a-rockband kind of way. I love all the facial expressions Justine does in this video. And Donna Matthews, the redhead, was cute also.

GDI. I'm gonna get this working.

YES, I got it working lol.

#34 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

• Red Lizards
  • 2982 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:02 PM

Ok, another badass video from the 90's from a relatively unknown/one-hit-wonder-type of band: Failure. This video is a homage to opening sequences to James Bond movies. Cool video and catchy tune, but I don't think they had any other songs that were nearly as good. Notice how the lead singer is wearing one of those dress shirts with the really large collars that goes over the collar of the suit jacket. That was like the height of coolness in the mid-90's.

This is so much fun.

#35 The_tober

The_tober

Now with a bicycle!

• Red Lizards
  • 2450 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (innocentbystander @ Dec 11 2006, 03:02 PM)
Ok, another badass video from the 90's from a relatively unknown/one-hit-wonder-type of band: Failure.  This video is a homage to opening sequences to James Bond movies.  Cool video and catchy tune, but I don't think they had any other songs that were nearly as good.

This is so much fun.

Yeah, but this one link did not work.

#36 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

• Red Lizards
  • 2982 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (The_tober @ Dec 11 2006, 03:04 PM)
Yeah, but this one link did not work.

Got it.

#37 The_tober

The_tober

Now with a bicycle!

• Red Lizards
  • 2450 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (innocentbystander @ Dec 11 2006, 02:44 PM)
Justine Frischman was hot in that female-leadsinger-of-a-rockband kind of way.  I love all the facial expressions Justine does in this video.  And Donna Matthews, the redhead, was cute also.

OK, I'll top your Justine with her blurry (ex) boyfriend (hahaha). Quite a bit of hit and miss with those guys but some high quality stuff too.

#38 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

• Red Lizards
  • 2982 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:19 PM

WHOOHOO.

#39 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

• Red Lizards
  • 2982 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:16 PM

What do you know?
You know nothing
But I'll still take you home

Not a great video, but I love the "whoa, whoa, whoa" and "da, da, da" part.

#40 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

• Red Lizards
  • 2982 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:27 AM

I have officially taken over this thread.

Karen O is amazing.

#41 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10792 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (innocentbystander @ Dec 7 2006, 12:39 PM)
My favorite album of the year (not saying it's the best album) is Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country.  Dulcet.

Did you see Camera Obscura will be back in town in Feb? (2/14 at the Wonder Ballroom). Tickets went on sale Saturday.

#42 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

• Red Lizards
  • 2982 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (Torrey @ Dec 18 2006, 10:47 AM)
Did you see Camera Obscura will be back in town in Feb?  (2/14 at the Wonder Ballroom).  Tickets went on sale Saturday.

Oh Patron Saint Valentine's Day, how sweet. Guess I'll have to buy two tickets and see who ends up being my date. wub.gif

BTW, thx for the heads up.

#43 g.o.

g.o.

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:I write, run, surf, paddle, cycle, and have way more fun than my seventh-grade algebra teacher thought possible.

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:59 AM

Back on topic...for a moment, at least. I had to think about this one and came to the conclusion that it's hard to write about in a list amongst everyone else's experiences since these things are so subjective. There's a confluence of events that come together to make a show happen, and that includes so many factors that, in my opinion (and this is all about opinions, after all), if you can have a transcendent moment at a show, you're lucky. The longer that transcendence lasts the higher that show climbs in your memory of moments. The factors that figure into that potential transcendence are those you control and those you can't. Amongst the factors you control are your familiarity with the band/music and your buzz. Your buzz can be affected by those you attend with, your day leading up to the event, and your chemical levels. Factors you can't control are venue, those other people who bought tickets and showed up that day, the band's relative abilities on the night, (anybody recall Paul Westerberger taking his pants off and tossing a couch out into the street?) and some other factors I'm missing in the moment, I'm sure.

So, my top three shows of all time, those with the longest moments of transport away from the moment, are:

1) The Faint - Bright Eyes at Crystal, early 2005. My son and daughter were turning me on to Conor Oberst and The Faint. I listened to a couple of recorded Faint tunes and yawned. It was techno-dancy-punky. Almost stayed down in Cassidy's and waited for Bright Eyes, but my kids insisted we go up. HOLY CRAP! Live! They rocked my face off! I spent over 40 mins moshing, passed my son once or twice in the pit, went down once and was lifted by my new-found tribe. Great show. And the Bright Eyes follow-on was a nice capper and especially cool because I spotted Nick Zinner playing guitar and that Saddle Creek cello player girl.

2) Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the old Meow Meow 2004. Yeah, saw the show later that year at the Crystal and Karen O was standing on the stairs that go down to Lola's room and I recognized her. She was alone and I gave her the nod. She nodded back and that was the best moment of that show for me. The smart crowd was there and they all stood still and looked contemplative. Should have rocked but didn't. Somebody should monitor who gets to buy tickets. "Sir, do you promise to pogo as required? Okay, then. You're in." However, earlier that year, when I went to Meow Meow I got to stand tonguing distance away from Karen and Nick when they played and chat with them in the crowd between the opening acts sets. Great show and I wasn't the only oldster there.

3) Gin Blossoms at Rose Festival 2003 (maybe?). Perfect night. Weather was ideal and the sunset worked itself into the show like the fifth beatle, making everything just right. Had the perfect amount of beers with good, enthusiastic Lizard company, pogo'ed myself into a plantar fasciitis injury, and we tossed Ethan up in the air while the lead singer of the band walked around singing Found Out About You into everybody's mobile phones.

#44 innocentbystander

innocentbystander

• Red Lizards
  • 2982 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:26 PM

This is my latest musical discovery. The album is pretty damned good if you like this kind of music. They also do a cover of the Traveling Wilburys' "Handle With Care". It kicks ass.

Good video of them on Conan:

#45 GregE

GregE

Greg Eyerly

• Red Lizards
  • 2254 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Friends
    Work
    Running/cycling

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

You know one thing I like about the Lizards...is guys like Albert keep me young and hip, Thanks for the tunes Albert!!!
" yes, i realize I am narcissistic -- it's just one of the things I love about myself"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users