#1 Tim

Tim

Vice President

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7926 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

I thought this was worth the read. Hope you do too.

https://journal.trac...com/dirtbagging

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#2 JPHimmelberg

JPHimmelberg

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

Interesting article.  There is just so little money in T&F and what little there is goes to a few superstars or the IOC, IAAF, or USATF instead of the athletes.  I've watched most of the Diamond League events this year and those stands are empty.  Hayward is one of the few places that sells out and it's not a huge stadium.  I'm sure the TV $ are negligible too.  I'm afraid track today is like bowling.  Small bucks and small audience despite a lot of regular folks who run or bowl.

The U.S. likes team sports and I wonder if team T&F could succeed assuming you could get the superstars to sign on.  The Oregon Red Lizards would sell out for sure with meets at Hayward and somewhere in PDX (indoors?).

#3 Ryan C

Ryan C

Newt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

I follow cycling (team sport) which many people are familiar on a recreational basis. It's a parallel discussion. Many ideas about revenue sharing models, live performance data, in-race cameras, race format etc. Quick example: after going bankrupt, the renamed Colorado classic has adopted a festival approach with music, food and supporting events. A couple comments. Sponsors want guaranteed participation in the biggest events. Athletes want multi-year contracts. Stadiums don't matter so much as TV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users