Photo

Track Workouts from 2008 - present (ongoing thread)

• Please log in to reply
614 replies to this topic

#601 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5676 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

Today’s workout was going to be miles or floats, with one ☝️ resin doing Billats. This is being reconsidered due to heat. We might do hills. Bring water bottles.

#602 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

Tonight's workout will be the one I wanted to do last week:

Miles. (Or 1600s).

3-6 of them on 400m recovery at L pace. Most people will find 3 of them to be sufficient. We may start with a time trial for those who didn't race yesterday. If so, that will be the first mile. We'll make it a true mile, not a 1600.

An alternative will be

6-8 x 800 (400) @ M

Nothing fancy this week. Though we do have someone who may want Billats. In that case there will be 3 workouts.

Rick

#603 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

We will have at least two workouts.

One will be mostly tempo oriented, with some speed.

Let's try a variant:

4-5 x 1200 mile (45 sec) @ T
4 x 200 (200) @ S

Or

up to 12 x 400 in groups on 50 percent recoveries. Protocol to be described.

#604 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

We will have two workouts

One will be 200/200 alternations. Otherwise known as Pre’s 200s (adjusted). Here's the protocol: do the fast( initial). Follow with a 200 at 1/3 slower, or a bit SLOWER than marathon pace. For example, if you are a 6:00 miler (in a one-mile race), you'd do the fast 200 at slightly slower than 45 sec. The slow one would be slightl slower than 60 sec. Then you segue back to the faster 200, back to the slow one, etc. If it sounds like Aussies, it is, but with different paces and a different formula.

Try for 3 miles, with a set break if needed.

The other will be tempo. 700/100 alternations, done in sets. We've done this before. The 700s are at no faster than 12K pace, the 100s are moderate jogs. Not floats unless you are super-fit. Do 3-4 miles or up to 10 percent of weekly volume, whichever is larger. Break into sets if needed.

#605 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:46 AM

Today will be warm, but with some clouds to block the sun (or she they said), so we'll stay on the track.

Workouts will be hot-weather oriented. And focusing on the Rose City Mile, which a lot of you are running.

We'll do a pyramid of a type we've done before

1-3 x 600 (400) @ M
2 x 400 (400) @ S
2 x 200 (200) @ F
2 x 400 (400) @ S
1-3 x 600 (400) @ M

If you add up the volume on this, it's 3200 to 5600m depending on how many 600s you do. Where you land in this range will depend on total volume and how fast you push the pace in the 600s.

Those wanting something more steady paced can do
6-? x 800 (400) @ M

#606 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

We will have two, possibly three, workouts,  with a fourth option for people tapering for weekend races. (The third option will be decided on-site, based on who's there and what they are tapering for.)

The two options will be quite different.

Option #1:

1000m breakdown. We've not done this is a long time, and it's always popular.

1 x 1000 (400) @ L
1 x 900 (300) @ L

1 x 800 (200) @ L

1 x 700 (300) @ M

1 x 600 (400) @ M

1 x 500 (300) @ M (THIS IS OPTIONAL, for high-mileage runners only)

1 x 400 (400) @ S

1 x 300 (300) @ S

1 x 200 @ S

Total volume 4900 if you skip the 500, 5400 if you do it.  High mileage runners can also add a few extra 200s, if they choose.

Alternative:

8 to 10 x 400 (400) @ S.

And for those wanting it, mile repeats are always an option.

#607 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

We will do two workouts today with possible variations depending on who is there.

A. By request (and it’s close to what I was thinking, anyway)

4 - ? X 800-300 (400) at L/M-to-S. Can add extra float on the end, if desired) (400)

If preferred these can be run as straightforward 1200s

Or

B. 6-? X 300-300- (400) at M/S

#608 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:19 PM

Last weeks workout was the first two stages of the Tour de Goose.

This wewk’s Will be either 400s in groups (50 percent recovery) or hills, depending on how hot it is.

#609 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

This week will be hills. If you want to stay on the track in the sun, you can, but most of us will be up on Terwilliger in the shade.

Bring a water bottle, if you think of it. But there will also be a jug of water and cups.

#610 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

Given the long run of hot Tuesdays, I've been slow to post workouts here, preferring to adjust them on-site, depending on just how hot and sunny it is. We can't run up Terwiliger every week!

For the record, last week was 10 x 500 (1 min), starting on the shady side of the track, with the recovery completely in the shade.

This week will be similar. At the moment, there will be two options:

6 - ? x 800 @ L. Recoveries will be walk-around in the shade until you feel ready to go. If you prefer, you can take longer recoveries and run at M pace. There is also a way to do this with 600s, for those who wish.

Or, same concept, but 12 x 400. Recoveries are walk around in shade until ready. Pace is whatever works.

If the sun were off the track at start time, we're all well heat acclimated, but that sun is intense, and shade is only on one side of the track when we start. If anyone really wants to run longer intervals, and feels acclimated for it, they should start and end in the shade, and take longer than usual recoveries. But I don't expect any takers on that as long as half hte track is in the sun.

#611 Daniel

Daniel

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:00 AM

Hot again what’s on tap today?

#612 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:20 PM

Today’s workout will depend more on smoke than temperature. The smoke will keep the temperature down, but at a cost. There is supposed to be a breeze that may improve conditions, if it starts up in time.

Workout to be decided on site. I had intended to start shifting to cross country training, but that will probably wait.

#613 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:01 PM

Air is not ba; temperature is under 90, shade is returning.

So, we will do 1200s.

For most that will be 4 x 1200 @ L (400) alternating chips and track if the track isn’t too crowded for that.

By request, we will do Billats in Sept, if it’s not too hot.

There will of course be alternative workouts.

#614 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:35 PM

Workout for September 4.

Billats. Unless there's a soccer game going and I can't use the whistle.

Or

Mile repeats. 3-? x 1 mile (400) @L.

Very different options, but a heavy focus on aerobics, with GOOD AIR and REASONABLE TEMPS! What a treat!

#615 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5676 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:57 PM

We will again do Billats. There will be an alternative workout on request.

After the Billats, you may do 0-4 x 200, if you like. This is optional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users