• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10766 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:44 AM

Who's ready for a little trail exploration?  

With most of the trails on the Oregon side of the Gorge still closed, there are still plenty of scenic opportunities that are accessible in winter on the Washington side.  And is there a more famous trail in the PNW than the Pacific Crest Trail? 

The plan is to do an out-back on the section of trail just north of the Columbia River.  We will start at the Bonneville trailhead (near Bonneville dam, just across Bridge of the Gods).  From there we will head north on the PCT as long or short as anyone feels like running.  Obviously, you can run all the way to Canada (if you really want), but odds are good most people will run a couple hours and do 10-15 miles total.  The following trail page describes a 15 mile option, but you can see that even going shorter than that will give you some great views of Hamilton Mountain, Table Mountain, Gillette Lake, and several other streams and ponds along the route.

http://www.oregonhik...iefs_Trail_Hike

The plan:

Meet at the McMenamins 205 at 8:30 to carpool.  From there it will take 45 minutes or so to get to the trailhead.  

We should be running around 9:30.  Figure we get done around 11:30.

Post run lunch in Stevenson at Walking Man Brewery.  12-1

We should be back to the carpool location around 2pm

Post up if you plan to join, so that we know who to be looking for at the carpool location.  Or if you live further east and just want to meet at the trailhead, that works as well.  If you opt for that, be there by 9:30.

Looking forward to a winter day on the trails!

#2 StevenS

StevenS

Gecko

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

Im a solid maybe.

#3 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10766 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

I'm planning on doing this at recovery pace.  Saturday will be my hard training day.

#4 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8075 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

I'm planning on doing this at recovery pace.  Saturday will be my hard training day.

And your recovery pace is?

Does anyone know what the trail surface is like along this portion of the PCT? All “Tim hates trails” jokes aside, if there are roots, rocks and other technical sections aplenty, I’d be apt to skip this. If it’s fairly smooth surface, even single-track, then I’d be more likely to give it a shot. Anyone have experience over this section, and can offer input?

Thanks!

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#5 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10766 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

And your recovery pace is?

Hard saying what the pace will be, since this will be on trail and likely have some elevation gain/loss - so that already makes the pace a bit slower than roads.  Add to that it will be after a 23 miler with some quality, I will just be looking to log some miles at whatever pace feels comfortable.  I'm just guessing, but it will probably be ~9:00/mile pace.

And sorry, I don't know what the terrain is like on this portion.  It's been a while since I've been on even a portion of it, but odds are good it will have some nice hard packed sections of typical PCT, but odds are good it will cross a few rocky segments as well.  You might be able to glean something from past hiking reports or photos on the oregonhikers forum (link in my first post).

#6 Stacey

Stacey

Director of Special Events

• Board Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Running (of course), Hiking, Backpacking, Snow Sports, STEM Education

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

There has been a lot of work done recently on this section of trail.  The PCTA has been using it to train volunteers in preparation for upcoming gorge recovery projects.

#7 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10766 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:22 AM

The PCTA has been using it to train volunteers in preparation for upcoming gorge recovery projects.

Sounds like they were anticipating you being there, Tim ;)

#8 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8730 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:53 AM

spurs off the PCT can be rough but I think the PCT is generally kept pretty smooth.

There has been a lot of work done recently on this section of trail.  The PCTA has been using it to train volunteers in preparation for upcoming gorge recovery projects.

Almost half of this route is on the dead end Two Chiefs trail, not the PCT...so hard telling what condition that will be in.
Could always continue up the PCT if Two Chiefs is rough or over grown.

Marathon training skulker

#9 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10766 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:55 AM

spurs off the PCT can be rough but I think the PCT is generally kept pretty smooth.

Almost half of this route is on the dead end Two Chiefs trail, not the PCT...so hard telling what condition that will be in.
Could always continue up the PCT if Two Chiefs is rough or over grown.

My recommendation will be to just do an out-back on the PCT.  That way everyone stays on the best maintained trail and can go out however far they feel like running.

#10 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8075 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

Turns out we’re in Eugene this weekend, so I’m out anyway. Have fun, all!

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#11 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8730 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:06 AM

Do we need a Washington parking permit?

Marathon training skulker

#12 charissa

charissa

Gecko

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

It does appear that a NW Forest Pass (or similar) is required to park at the Bonneville Trailhead:

Fees and Regulations
Day passes are $5 but I'm still looking to see whether there is a pay station at that lot. There may or may not be. There's one that can be purchased online and printed right away, but really, only the vehicles we take will need them, so not every one needs one if we're carpooling. So it might be helpful if those who have NW Forest passes can speak up and they are willing to bring them to share and use... 

#13 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10766 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:10 AM

I have a NWFP and am bringing it along with me.

And for what it's worth, the federal government is on shutdown, so I'm pretty sure no one is going to be out there checking.  So I wouldn't be stressing over whether or not you can buy a pass on-line

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users