27 replies to this topic

#1 John Maroney

John Maroney

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

Just a few snow fiendish lizards made it up last year but its getting to be almost that time for the second annual hopefully-snowbound retreat Sat Jan 3-Sun Jan 4,2009. Teacup nordic club hosts their annual Teaparty (http://www.teacupnordic.org/calendar/skiclinic )on Sunday offering classic or skate ski lessons . Alternatively sledding ,moonlit touring, and chilling at the lodge are good recommendations for coasting into '09 if you're in town post holidays. Xdogs may opt for a snowshoe scramble up to Timberline Lodge . A short up hill hike from the Government Camp snowpark toting sleeping bag,pillow,slippers, perhaps ear plugs if snoring sensitive , and you're at the lodge . Basically a big bunkhouse but photo/details/rates et al: http://www.mazamas.o...tarts-here/C184.

#2 julz

julz

50k sprinter!

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts
  • Interests:Running, Horses, Rabbits, Kayaking, wine tasting, 80's new wave, yes I'm old

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

sounds like fun, I've been wanting to take some xc ski lessons for a while now, but unfortunately, this falls on my weekend to work:( one of these days I'll have to find a M-F job like everyone else.
artificial air freshener is toxic!!

#3 SusanB

SusanB

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:04 AM

It says they have both classic and skate skiing lessons. In order to do both would you need to bring 2 different sets of skiis or could you get away with just bringing one of them and trying both techniques. I understand it wouldn't be ideal to use the wrong skate, but would it work? Do you know if this event fills up fast? Do most people come up on Saturday and spend the night or are there a lot of people who just come up for the Sunday lessons?

#4 RobertK

RobertK

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (SusanB @ Nov 3 2008, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It says they have both classic and skate skiing lessons. In order to do both would you need to bring 2 different sets of skiis or could you get away with just bringing one of them and trying both techniques. I understand it wouldn't be ideal to use the wrong skate, but would it work? Do you know if this event fills up fast? Do most people come up on Saturday and spend the night or are there a lot of people who just come up for the Sunday lessons?

You can sign up day of and on the form you put the type you are interested in and what level you are at. They'll split you up into groups and have an instructor for every 4-8 people. I went last year and don't remember there being two rounds of training so I think you will have to pick either skate or classic.
I race for the shirts.

#5 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3907 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (John Maroney @ Nov 2 2008, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a few snow fiendish lizards made it up last year but its getting to be almost that time for the second annual hopefully-snowbound retreat Sat Jan 3-Sun Jan 4,2009. Teacup nordic club hosts their annual Teaparty (http://www.teacupnordic.org/calendar/skiclinic )on Sunday offering classic or skate ski lessons . Alternatively sledding ,moonlit touring, and chilling at the lodge are good recommendations for coasting into '09 if you're in town post holidays. Xdogs may opt for a snowshoe scramble up to Timberline Lodge . A short up hill hike from the Government Camp snowpark toting sleeping bag,pillow,slippers, perhaps ear plugs if snoring sensitive , and you're at the lodge . Basically a big bunkhouse but photo/details/rates et al: http://www.mazamas.o...tarts-here/C184.

John, This is great!

Thanks for the info, I have been thinking about trying this. Not sure which one yet?

#6 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3907 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (julz @ Nov 3 2008, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sounds like fun, I've been wanting to take some xc ski lessons for a while now, but unfortunately, this falls on my weekend to work:( one of these days I'll have to find a M-F job like everyone else.

Julz,

C'mon.......work, work, and shmirk ohmy.gif) Maybe something will change by then?

#7 julz

julz

50k sprinter!

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts
  • Interests:Running, Horses, Rabbits, Kayaking, wine tasting, 80's new wave, yes I'm old

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

I wish it would.
artificial air freshener is toxic!!

#8 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

put me on the list, and Kim..and maybe a couple other Hansen's...

When Kim and I stayed there last year, the weekend of the Teacup Classic,
we had a blast, sledding, snowball fights, billiards, blizzards, crazy people throwing
cardboard in the fireplace causing the manager to go bazerk(sp)...good times!

It wouldn't hurt to learn some more technique in order to do well at the '09 Classic.
problem though...I kind told Kim that the next time we do this, I'd also take her to Ski Bowl shocked.png frantics.gif .

I guess, I might as well bite the bullet and commit or is that ...be committed blink.gif

Marathon training skulker

#9 John Maroney

John Maroney

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

ski bowl''s open til 11 on Saturday night and is just a half mile from the Lodge. bunny hill there where I learned snowboarding is free or was way back lo those 3 years ago...

#10 SusanB

SusanB

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:47 AM

Is anyone thinking of just going up on Sunday for the lesson (and depending on time maybe stick around a little while after to practice)? I'm interested in going, but will only go if I can carpool with someone (ie ride with someone who has chains happy.png ). I'll chip in for gas and would be willing to drive to someone's house in the Portland area so you wouldn't have to go out of your way to pick me up.

#11 Tim

Tim

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 8121 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (SusanB @ Nov 3 2008, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You would need two different pair of skis. Classic skis are totally different from skate skis, as is the waxing method, I believe.

Hmm, have to check with Lisa on this. I've always wanted to get some skate skiing lessons.

THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS.

PROUD TO BE A PAFAR!

#12 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (John Maroney @ Nov 2 2008, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So John,
Have or do reservations need to be made for staying Saturday night?

Marathon training skulker

#13 John Maroney

John Maroney

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (BrianH @ Dec 29 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So John,
Have or do reservations need to be made for staying Saturday night?

Glad you guys can make it! Diane and Mike Terry are the new lodge managers and they know we're coming. Call or email if you guys don't want dinner Saturday or breakfast Sunday (mazama.lodge@mazamas.org 503 272 9214) otherwise we should be all set. Don't forget the snowpark permit and rent some snowboarding gear in town if there's interest , the hill out back is good for teaching and they make great sleds too!

#14 The_tober

The_tober

Now with a bicycle!

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (John Maroney @ Dec 31 2008, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad you guys can make it! Diane and Mike Terry are the new lodge managers and they know we're coming. Call or email if you guys don't want dinner Saturday or breakfast Sunday (mazama.lodge@mazamas.org 503 272 9214) otherwise we should be all set. Don't forget the snowpark permit and rent some snowboarding gear in town if there's interest , the hill out back is good for teaching and they make great sleds too!

John, do you know if there is still room for 2? My wife and I are 90% in. Still need to look at a bit of logistics but we'll make a final decision this afternoon.

#15 The_tober

The_tober

Now with a bicycle!

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

OK, we've decided to go. I just left a message at the lodge. Waiting to hear if they still have room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users