#1 SusanB

SusanB

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:00 AM

Hey There,
Okay, I realize that most of the people who check out this section of the message board are probably beyond this and have there snow gear, but...
Jan 12th REI and part of another group has a day that you can go to Sno-Park (I don't have the flier with me now, but it is up in the Mt Hood area) and try out snow shoe stuff for free. They are going to have several vendors there with their gear. Would anyone be interested in checking it out? It is from 9am-3pm and they have info about it on their store fliers and on their website. I would also like to give snow shoeing a try that weekend (I want to try it out before the first race.) So, if anyone who would be willing to tolerate a beginner and wants to go snow shoeing that weekend let me know.
Thanks,
Susan

#2 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6047 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

I might be interested. I have never done this before and I think it would be fun to have a group.

do3nyr.jpg

#3 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:22 PM

yahoo for snow shoe! I'll go!
"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

#4 overflow

overflow

Red Lizard? What's that?

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

Robert and I would like to go too! We're heading to REI tomorrow, I'll see if I can find a flyer...

#5 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:30 AM

Here is the info for the event from the REI website:

EVENT: Winter Trails
1/12/2008 9:00 AM

Winter Trails is a SnowSports Industries America (SIA) program giving those new to snow sports an opportunity to try snowshoes for free! REI will be on hand at this traditional day of fun on Mt. Hood at the White River West Sno-Park located four miles east of Government Camp on Highway 35.

The FREE event will feature hundreds of demo snowshoes from a variety of vendors including Atlas, Tubbs, MSR, Redfeather Design and Salomon. Coffee, hot chocolate and treats will be available.

Participants should wear weather-appropriate clothing, including waterproof boots.

While the event is free, you will need an Oregon or Washington Sno-Park Pass to park. Passes are available at all Portland area REI stores.
Location: White River West Sno-Park located four miles east of Government Camp on Highway 35.
Cost: Free

I'll probably go and also bring my XC skis and head to Teacup afterwards.

Marathon training skulker

#6 loof

loof

Squeak-free at mile 26.3.

• Red Lizards
  • 6047 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:37 AM

Hold up, you need waterproof boots? Do I need them? And snow pants? Ugh. more crap to buy? Maybe this isn't for me. Sorry, but I'm really clueless. East coast winters plus one horrible skiing experience at 19 has made me very, very, very snow averse.

do3nyr.jpg

#7 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:38 AM

On a related note, the Tualitin REI also has this going on a few days before:

CLINIC: Snowshoeing 101
1/8/2008 7:00 PM

Join REI expert Jonathan Hecht to learn the basics of snowshoeing. He will focus on the appropriate selection of gear and the initial skills needed to get you outside and on the trails. In addition, we will talk about some great local places to go. Location: Tualatin REI
Cost: Free
Registration Required? No.

#8 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:52 AM

ALSO>>>>
the class will be at the Clackamas store:
12/6/2007 7:00 PM

Call the Portland and Hillsboro stores for their dates and times.

#9 overflow

overflow

Red Lizard? What's that?

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (loofahgirl @ Dec 17 2007, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hold up, you need waterproof boots? Do I need them? And snow pants? Ugh. more crap to buy? Maybe this isn't for me. Sorry, but I'm really clueless. East coast winters plus one horrible skiing experience at 19 has made me very, very, very snow averse.

When we went last year I just wore my tennis shoes. It was doable, but my toes got really, really, cold. My advice - if you're going to go in tennis shoes wear thick warm socks. And you don't really need snow pants - but stay away from wearing jeans/cotton (that's a good general cold-weather rule). Snowshoeing is nothing like skiing - so throw your aversion out the window and give it a try.

The in-store flyer said to check out www.wintertrails.org for more information.

#10 SusanB

SusanB

Power Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

Do the people interested in going to the snow shoe thing on the 12th want to carpool? If yes, does anyone have a Oregon or Washington Sno-Park Pass to park? Otherwise I could go get one at REI. Does anyone know about how much they cost? Also, does anyone know how long it would take to get there? What time do people want to go (leave Portland if carpooling or meet there if not carpooling)?
Just thought I'd start putting the logistics together.
Susan

#11 RobertK

RobertK

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (SusanB @ Jan 1 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do the people interested in going to the snow shoe thing on the 12th want to carpool? If yes, does anyone have a Oregon or Washington Sno-Park Pass to park? Otherwise I could go get one at REI. Does anyone know about how much they cost? Also, does anyone know how long it would take to get there? What time do people want to go (leave Portland if carpooling or meet there if not carpooling)?
Susan

Christie and I still plan on going, but we haven't decided on a time to leave yet. We have a Sno-Park pass, so we can drive too. It's probably about 1.5 hours to get there if the roads are clear.
I race for the shirts.

#12 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

I'd like to go if I can round up a pair of snowshoes by then.

I don't think I'm gonna have the time to make some custom
shoes by then, like I'd been planning, but hey,
according to clover.png, it's the Year of the Flake, so I don't care tongue.png

#13 RobertK

RobertK

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (BrianH @ Jan 1 2008, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to go if I can round up a pair of snowshoes by then.

You don't have to round up a pair of snowshoes! REI and other gear providers are bringing them for us to try out for free!
I race for the shirts.

#14 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (RobertK @ Jan 1 2008, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't have to round up a pair of snowshoes! REI and other gear providers are bringing them for us to try out for free!

Oh yeah... whistle.png

#15 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5871 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (SusanB @ Jan 1 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Susan

Hi Susan,

I've got 4wd and studded tires, and will have a snow park permit by then. The best place to assemble is the Starbucks at 102nd and Halsey, though we need to leave cars out of the way, since that's not an official park and ride lot. There's usually no problem parking at the Mall, but my street works, too, and it's only 3 blocks away. From there to the snow park is about 2 hours in reasonable conditions, plus a coffee/bathroom stop in Rhodedendron. Normally, I figure meeting at 8 am, but if you want to be one of the first at the clinic, 7 am is better.

I'm with Brian: I'll be skiing, as well. If you want to rent skis en route, and try one sport am, and on pm, the place to get them is Ottos, in Sandy. I think they open at 8 am?

Anyway, I'm interested in this, though I want to get in some skiing, too. Teacup's only abut 5 miles away. It's big (and only) ski race is the last Sunday in January. We had a good Lizard turnout for it last year.

I'm stoked for snow.

Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users