• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5871 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:34 PM

So 7:30 Sunday morning, 102nd and Halsey. I'll be there with skis, studs, snowpark, and car. No riders yet, so I think there's room for all comers.

#32 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:40 PM

WHAT AN EXPERIENCE THAT WAS!
Very easy to overdress and overheat.
An extreme workout.
Thoses fast skiers, men and women, make it look so effortless.
I gotta get me one of those long sleeve tek shirts.

I finished better than I thought I would, not by much though.

OK next weekend, bring on the SNOW SHOES!

Marathon training skulker

#33 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5871 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

Yes, I was actually wearing less than I'd wear for a typical January Fulton run...though now that I think about it, the temps were only about 5-10 degrees cooler and it was sunny and a race. Medium tights and a top about twice as thick as the Lizard long-sleeved shirts is all you need. I didn't go with a hat, but if you do, what you really want is a fleece ear-muff thing that you can pull down like a neck band if you overheat. Gloves are mandatory because if you fall without them you're going to lose a lot of hide, but the good ones for those conditions are light and breathable. Snowshoeing, btw, is the same, only you're going slower and not generating as much breeze, so it's easier to overheat.

#34 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Rick Lovett @ Jan 28 2007, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Snowshoeing, btw, is the same, only you're going slower and not generating as much breeze, so it's easier to overheat.

I don't think it's possible to go much slower.

Does Teacup post results?
I did not see a place for that on their website, i.e. past results.

#35 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5871 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:15 PM

And Brian was right, this is a great little race. Fifty finishers in the main events (more in the high school and kids races), but the front of pack...heck, a LOT of the pack...is often heavily stacked with national-class talent. I'd bet that the top 3 women and several of the top men are aspiring Olympians. And some of the old farts (with names like Inar or however that's spelled) have major talent, too. That has to be the first time Joe D's seen the backside of an 80-year-old!

Anyway, thanks to all of you for showing up at my little annual party. The Lizards were eclipsed by all of those Olympic hopefuls, but we did mix it up nicely with the Teacup team folks, even if there wasn't any formal team competition.

As for the race, it was a beautiful but highly technical day (those two usually go together; ski racers don't like sun unless it's below about 22 degrees). What that means was that the hills were a bit on the challenging side (on a 10-point scale of scary hillness at Teacup, this was an 8 or so; a 10 would have been today if they'd not had the new grooming machine, which can break the ice into that packed sugar-like stuff we skied on).

It also means that it was a technical waxer's day. Dan and I took opposite methods: he went with simple (I played around with that at the start, but he found a simple wax that worked, and I didn't). It was a bold move because the Olympic hopefulls were going with layers. I tried single-layer approaches and went from ok (leftover wax!) to no-glide, to no-kick, to OK barely in time to test it (forget warming up) before the start. When afterward I tried cooling down on my no-waxes (which are the go-fast type, btw, Brian) they felt slow, slow, slow -- so wax was probably worth a whole minute a mile in the race. Nobody really found the right wax.

For those who think of waxing next year, I've always believed that the crux of that course is the long upgrade in the middle. Wax too light, and you lose way more time getting back up it than all of that glide gives you on the descent. The final 5K are generally some form of misery because the weather's changed since you started, so if you were right for the initial, big, loop, you' can't be right for the second. Unless, of course, you get those cloudy 22 degree temps some of us dream about.

As for Lizards, you all did great, especially those of you who tackled a highly technical sport on slowish touring equipment and not a vast amount of practice. There were a couple of fairly advanced descents to survive.

Joe will post the times, so I won't try to guess 'em. Thanks again for the company. Larisa, you missed bigtime! (Oh, and PS, I PRed by nearly a minute a mile; I nailed the wax for the first 10K, though TDG had it better for the longer haul.)

#36 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (BrianH @ Jan 28 2007, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it's possible to go much slower.

Oh yes it is! whistle.png

QUOTE (Rick Lovett @ Jan 28 2007, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There were a couple of fairly advanced descents to survive.

Wahoo!! w00t.png
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#37 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:14 AM

Great job to all lizards on a beautiful day. Weather could not have been better for this event. Clear, sunny and windless. Perfect!

Let's see if I can remember everyone there.

Joe Dudman
Brian Hansen
Rick Lovett
Erika Matsuda
Mimi Matsuda+
Bob Nelly*
Dan Silvernail
Win+

* Bob, I'm not sure I know what you look like, so sorry if I missed you in photos.
+ Cheering committee

Special congratulations to Joe, Erika, and Brian for entering a race early in their ski careers. I think for Brian it was something like his third day on skis. Everyone is making a lot of progress out there.

Lizards were the third biggest team turnout behind Teacup Nordic and XC Oregon!

Don't forget another stellar upcoming opportunity to show your colors on the TRL nordic team - the 2007 National Masters XC Ski Championships in Bend, March 21-25. Sign up soon (fees go up after Jan. 31) and get ready for serious fun. Will we have time to come up with our team one piece red suits covered with hordes of white lizards?

Approx. 300 photos loading now...

http://redlizards.sm...07473#126195244

#38 figuresc8er

figuresc8er

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 3990 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures, Win. It's great to see our lizards on skis!
We all win together or we all lose together.

#39 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10383 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:51 AM

It was impressive to see veterans Rick, Dan, and Rob go whizzing by, and Erika and Brian made us proud with their great efforts. I still don't really know what I'm doing out there, but I survived, finished, and had fun!
"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#40 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5871 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:32 AM

On a less technial day, we would have been slower and you would have been faster, Joe. I haven't compared the winning times this year to last year, but it certainly seemed like an incredibly fast track. Though lack of kick did take some of it back. So it was a tough combo: out of control speed on the downgrades and you-can't-get-up-them on the upgrades!

#41 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

I'll have everyone know that the picture of me, posted above, is near the begining
of the race, a little unstable still, calm, collected.
As luck would have it, there is not a picture at the finish.
I probably looked like "death warmed over" sweat.gif logik.png wacko.gif

#42 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5871 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

You can't possibly look worse than the photo that someone got of me at the finish (at least I presume how I looked). I was thinking: 30 more meters, no kick even on this little upgrade...25 more meters...no kick...20 more meters...no kick. etc. "Kick" here applied in the classic skiing sense, not the sprinting sense. I was trying to sprint; I just wasn't going forward. I later discovered that that coarse snow, in only 15 km, had taken off the outer layer of my two-wax system, which had worked swimmingly for the first 10K. The only time I've ever had that happen before was in Greenland, where the snow was similarly coarse and just about everyone had to stop once a day and rewax. In 60 km, of course, you get the time back.In the final 5K of a short race you're better to flounder and produce photos that are probably going to look like the agony of defeat.

The guy behind me actually did stop to rewax. The stagger had put him 2-3 minutes back from me, and he'd passed me somewhere in the long downgrads. But out on Owly Way he was standing by the trail rewaxing. Whatever he did allowed him to make up almost all that I gained going around him because he nearly got me on the first nasty upgrade about halfway through the second (5K) loop. But whatever he did to get up the hills didn't work so well on the flat (or wore off) because I dusted him solidly on Tea Time and stayed ahead, though not by enough to negate the stagger. But if he could come back on me like that after rewaxing, he was a way better skier. Having to rewax in a short race is a nightmare. It probably "only" takes 2-3 min, but yipes. I didnt' even carry waxes so I wouldn't be tempted.

#43 Running Bear

Running Bear

Runnin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:21 PM

Great time racing at Teacup Lake! Substantial SnowLizard showing which was really a blast! Lots of fun to see Lizards on fast skis! Beautiful weather and warm day....Mt Hood was gorgeous once again! Great, very small XC community event, well organized and very family oriented. Mucho kudos to all of the racing Lizards.....fun to race on snow! And big thank yous to cheering crew, cowbell crew and photo making crew....you guys give that extra motivation when we need it most! Who's ready for TRL Snow Lizard one piece suits!! Yahoooo!! Snow Grins, ~Erika yes.gif
~ " Be the change you wish to see in the World. " ~ Gandhi

" A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into an exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. Nobody is going to win a 5,000 m race after running an easy two miles. Not with me. If I lose, forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself." ~ Steve Prefontaine

" It is never too late to be what you might have been." ~George Elliot

" We have a choice to use the gift of our lives to make the World a better place." ~Jane Goodall

#44 TDG

TDG

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:54 PM

Yes, what a great time! I'm glad I went. But I'm paying for it today! That's the thing about x/c skiing, it works every muscle in the body. I guess you have to train for these things!

Maybe, just maybe I'll head over for the nat's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users