• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ZAGrunner

ZAGrunner

Leapin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:fun people, rap music, Gonzaga Basketball and cross-country, free stuff on the side of the road, coupons, oat bran, bitter beer.

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:52 AM

It is dumping white in the mountains which means it is time to get the skis out!!!

I just brought my XC skis/ski rack back from my parents house and would love to hit the trails this weekend.

Any takers?
"Go the Distance."---The 'Voice' Field of Dreams

#2 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:33 AM

Possibly. Where are you thinking?

If weather permits, I'm hoping to get a few laps in at Timberline early Saturday morning, but I would be up fo some xc somewhere on the way back down if it's a nice day.

There's that lake just downhill from the ODOT station at the turnoff to Timberline road - is it Trillium? That's a fun place to go. Otherwise I don't know many good xc spots yet.

It's hammering up there...

http://www.timberlin.../conditions.php

#3 ZAGrunner

ZAGrunner

Leapin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:fun people, rap music, Gonzaga Basketball and cross-country, free stuff on the side of the road, coupons, oat bran, bitter beer.

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:01 PM

By laps you mean skiing I hope!

I was thinking of Trillum as well, I have never XC skied in Oregon and the only spots I know are because I pass the signs when driving over Mt. Hood. I think Rick was interested in Trillium as well.

Either day would be fine for me....lets see what others have to say. This could be fun!

L

QUOTE (Win Goodbody @ Nov 28 2006, 12:33 PM)
Possibly.  Where are you thinking?

If weather permits, I'm hoping to get a few laps in at Timberline early Saturday morning, but I would be up fo some xc somewhere on the way back down if it's a nice day.

There's that lake just downhill from the ODOT station at the turnoff to Timberline road - is it Trillium?  That's a fun place to go. Otherwise I don't know many good xc spots yet.

It's hammering up there...

http://www.timberlin.../conditions.php

#4 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8737 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:44 PM

I'm wanting to learn, along with a few other Lizards I know.

Marathon training skulker

#5 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5873 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:18 PM

I could be up for this. Means I have to get the studs and sit in line at Les Schwab...

THE place to track ski on Hood is Teacup Lake, but the road is out until MHM reopens. Most skiing in Oregon is trails or logging roads. The latter require greater technical skills; the former have snowmobiles. In recent years, I've been exclusively a track skiier, which with the closure probably means Trilium and a few places around Government Camp (not sure how large that network is). Old Man Pass in Washington is also good, and it's cold enough it might be open. In fact, it's dynamite if the day's good. It's up toward Indian Heaven and has a 10K loop with great views of Mt. St. Helens...but grooming is dubious. So is road plowing, and without the latter, it's a long slog to the good stuff. If anyone wants to check this out, let me know.

Anyway, Trilium is best for beginning.

"Laps" at Timberline... where do you go for that, Win?

Rick

#6 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • 2574 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:19 PM

By laps I mean skinning up from the Timberline east parking lot to top of Palmer, then skiing down. You climb up, ski down, climb up, ski down. A lap is 2600 feet vertical. Climbing skins and a back country ski setup allow you to do this.

The cool thing about this drill is that the upper mountain lift (Palmer lift, above Magic Mile) is almost never open in the winter, but they groom the upper slopes constantly to pack down snow for summer.

So coming down above Silcox Hut you have the entire mountain to yourself - often on groomed corduroy. And it's just about the right angle that you can tuck straight down if you're young and reckless like Diep.

At any rate, doing laps is a great cross training workout to running. I have had good results doing laps on Saturday and a long run on Sunday. It's also a great way to get familiar with some of the backcountry skiing skills in a totally safe environment.

Oh - and the best reason to go is stopping on the way down for an espresso shake at the espresso rv next to Mt. Hood Foods in Rhodedendron. Don't miss it!

Anyway, Trillium Lake sounds promising.

#7 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:09 PM

You guys could ski the groomed BACHELOR trails on Sunday (Carpool hint! hint!) Although I don't know if you can really CC ski ALL day without getting worn out. And you'd have to pay. Oh well, worth a try I suppose.

#8 TDG

TDG

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 2187 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:31 PM

Justshutthehellup all of you!

I don't want to hear about it. If I can't go, you can't go. Have fun, hopefully we can get something going for the weekend of the 16-17.

I really hope they get the road to Teacup Lake fixed by the 15th like they say. On the other hand, if I get a backcountry setup, I may try the trails around Larch Mountain again. I took little Matty there on Thanksgiving morning; there was not quite enough snow to ski on (at the gate anyway) but there was enough to make a snowman. I'm sure that by now there will be plenty o'snow, even at the gate.

#9 TDG

TDG

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 2187 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:34 PM

"Although I don't know if you can really CC ski ALL day without getting worn out."

I can't speak for Win, but I had plenty of gas left in the tank at the end of the Crater Lake (+18 mile) tour. Mmm Hmm.

#10 jbuckmaster

jbuckmaster

XC Series Director

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hey Win are you on AT stuff or Telemark gear when you go to timberline?

Sometimes you must give up a good living to live good - Unknown

#11 Diep

Diep

Binge Runner

• Members
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while I like to go running.<br /><br />Usually I'm just in it for the beer!

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (jbuckmaster @ Nov 28 2006, 05:54 PM)
Hey Win are you on AT stuff or Telemark gear when you go to timberline?

He's on AT.

But I rock the tele. cool.gif

#12 RobertK

RobertK

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:03 PM

Christie and I were planning on going to Trillium this weekend, but haven't decided on a day. Keep us posted on when you go. We're beginners when it comes to mountains, so if there are any others out there that want to try it out there will be a slow group too!
I race for the shirts.

#13 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • 2574 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE (TDG @ Nov 28 2006, 06:34 PM)
"Although I don't know if you can really CC ski ALL day without getting worn out."

I can't speak for Win, but I had plenty of gas left in the tank at the end of the Crater Lake (+18 mile) tour.    Mmm Hmm.

"Plenty of gas left in the tank"?! Uh, no, I could barely stand actually.

But the question is, TDG, whether you will be selecting one or two laps at the 3rd Annual Crater Lake Ski Ultra on April 28?

Whick will it be? 50K or 100K?

With all that extra gas (and the Norway hat) you should be good for at LEAST 100K.

But if you decide to only do 50K, I'll understand...

<sigh>

#14 ZAGrunner

ZAGrunner

Leapin' Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:26 PM

Okay so who would be down for SUNDAY?

I would like to hit up Nike Team Nationals on Saturday.

Post away!

#15 Win Goodbody

Win Goodbody

Roller Ski Addict

• Members
  • 2574 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:04 AM

I think Diep and I are going up Saturday.

Crap, yesterday (Wednesday) would have been the day to be up there.

Now it's in that beloved PNW temperature zone right around freezing.

Whee! Tip toe through the tulips. Just a slight move this way and - SNOW! Just an inch over this way and - RAIN!

With any luck it will at least be still and clear if no precip coming down this weekend.

Should still be good skiing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users