• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10793 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:12 AM

For those who want to view the solar eclipse from the "zone of totality", you will need to make your way south or east of Portland.  And you will also need to take part or all of the day off on Monday, Aug 21, since the eclipse peaks at about 10am.

Path of the total eclipse:  http://www.eclipse20...7/states/OR.htm

I had toyed with the idea of trying to find a spot to camp the weekend before, but it's going to be crazy busy out there for finding a spot that isn't reservable.  I have a hunch the eclipse weekend could be more frustrating for finding a camping spot than July 4 or Labor Day weekends.  But it might still be worth trying to brainstorm an option people don't necessarily think of as camping locations (there are lots of old logging roads... but those are always a little challenging for group camping adventures)

It might be easier to wake up early and drive to a trailhead where we can run up to a viewpoint to take in the eclipse mid-run.  That means we need a run within 1-2 hours of Portland.  And I imagine traffic will be a cluster that day, so we would need to wake up early to get out of town.

Options:

1.  Easiest.  Drive south to Willamette Mission State Park or Minto Brown in Salem.  Those are both within an hour of Portland, and mostly on I-5, so odds of traffic issues are lower.  If we opt for Minto Brown, that is close to downtown Salem, so we could grab brunch/lunch afterward.  We could probably leave Portland at 7 and make this option work.

2.  Deschutes River Trail.  While there is a little campground at Mecca Flats (near Warm Springs), I suspect it will be filled with boaters and fishermen long before the weekend of the eclipse.  But there is a lovely trail along the river here.  2 hour drive under normal conditions, so it's hard to say what the drive on 26 might be like on eclipse morning. I suspect we would need to head out before 6 to get there in time.  But Hey 26 might be easier than the other options below

3.  Cascade Head.  Not even sure why I am throwing this one on the list.  Mostly because I think it would be a spectacular spot to be, but I imagine it will be overrun with folks staying in Lincoln City, and driving to the coast that morning... probably not going to be possible.

4.  Central Oreon - Three Fingered Jack, Mt Washington or Jefferson Park.  Beautiful views from the PCT, but all of these would require driving through Salem and then up past Detroit Lake - I suspect traffic will suck, and it's a long drive for day of.  We could possibly find camping in this area, but it would likely require a weekend commitment and trying to find some place to camp.  It is possible that somewhere like Jack Lake could be available if we headed up on Friday, but then there is a commitment for 3 nights of camping...

5.  Smith Rock.  Would be an easier drive if we stayed in Bend (which is just slightly south of the zone of totality) versus trying to get there from Portland.

Who wants in on this fun, and what option do you prefer?

#2 Stacey

Stacey

Director of Special Events

• Board Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Running (of course), Hiking, Backpacking, Snow Sports, STEM Education

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

Just FYI...Santiam district rangers are expecting Jefferson Park to be overrun during the Eclipse.  Apparently they are considering suspending permits and making the nearby fire lookout unavailable that day because they are concerned that there are going to be so many people there it will be impossible to patrol.  Not a big deal for running in/out.  Could be a problem for parking.

The Ochocos could be a good option for viewing, but it will be hot...

#3 Angela

Angela

Secretary

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2375 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

I like the idea of Willamette Mission but wonder if we should choose a difficult trail somewhere to avoid the crowds.  

#4 Tgirl

Tgirl

jill of all (running) trades

• Red Lizards
  • 4215 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

I have already taken the day off of work, and plan to see the eclipse. It is really hard to predict the best option, but I am an early morning riser and am willing to go with the flow. 

"The real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgivable, is the violence that we do to ourselves when we're too afraid to be who we really are." Lana Wachowski.

#5 BrianH

BrianH

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • 8737 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

Most camp grounds and trails are in wooded areas making for obstructed viewing.  
Willamette Mission offers a lot of wide open space on and off trail.
When we ran the trail race there, the back half looped around a big field (not sure if crops will be growing)  which would be great for viewing and probably not easy general public access.

It will be interesting to see if people flock to the park for viewing since their view will be just as good parking along all the roads in the valley, and they don't have to pay.

Marathon training skulker

#6 markiemo

markiemo

Director of Group Runs

• Board Members
  • 3653 posts
  • Interests:Trail running, biking, hanging with reptiles, camping, traveling,
    beach bumming, enjoying the endless string of Saturdays...

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

And speaking of paying... if you plan to stay in a hotel I just saw in the news that some hotels (most?) that are now realizing the financial potential of this event have canceled any already confirmed reservations and claiming they "overbooked".  They are then jacking up the nightly rat by 10 times - think $1,000/night for a Hampton Inn room.  

I'll opt for a sleeping bag.

#7 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • 10384 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

I love this idea, and Willamette Mission sounds like the best of these options.

If you want a preview of what to expect, here are some photos of the last one in 1979, which my friend Paul, my parents, and I watched from a high field somewhere near The Dalles:

Attached File  Solar eclipse 1979.jpg   556.87KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Watching solar eclipse 1979.jpg   593.92KB   0 downloads

"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#8 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10793 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:20 AM

I hope no one minds me posting some science here (I've heard it isn't very popular among some red folks, and I didn't know if that included lizards ;) - but here is some info to consider whether you watch the eclipse on the run or elsewhere:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Might need to order several of these so we are all stocked up on sun viewing wear

https://www.amazon.c...viewing glasses

#9 Johncdc

Johncdc

Runnin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

Fellow Lizards. Just to give a little input that may help you all have the best experience. I live in the north end of Totality Path and I am also involved in Willamette Valley Tourism (via some non-profit boards and as a City Councilor here in Dayton) somewhat, so I may have heard things you have not heard re. this eclipse.

Some food for thought:

The general feeling down here (via Travel Oregon, Travel Yamhill Valley, etc. ) is that this is going to be absolutely bonkers!! As it gets closer, it is going to dominate the news cycle 24/7. Officials are quietly expecting that over ONE MILLION people up and down west coast will be heading toward the path of the totality near the i-5 corridor. Folks from major cities like Vancouver, BC, Seattle and Portland will be heading down I-5. Californians will be heading north. Many will try at last moment (day of) with no lodging arrangements (just figure they will get up early and cruise on down the highway, lol) and most will take main highway corridors (Like I-5) to get into the path of the totality. It has been projected that many tens of thousands will be sleeping in vehicles in roadsides, rest stops, etc  on Sunday night. There is near guarantee on Monday of total humongous day-long traffic jam unlike Oregon I-5 corridor has ever seen.

As for myself, we already have a house full of family and friends from out of town who will be camping in yard too and I do not even live in best spot. So even we will try to drive further south (if we are able) to view. I took the morning off from work but I am currently scheduled to work in afternoon in Newberg (a mere 9 miles from my house) and I now think I might not be able to get back to my office in time as 99w north/east-bound will be wall-to-wall cars in Yamhill County from about 10:30am onward.

Finally, know that the eclipse will actually begin at close to 9am in the east/southeast. Totality will be shortly after 10 am and will be at about compass 117 degrees (east by southeast) and sun will be 40 degrees elevated (not that high so be careful of high trees around your planned viewing area).

I hope this adds some insight to help with your plans.

John J. Collins
Springbrook Chiropractic

#10 markiemo

markiemo

Director of Group Runs

• Board Members
  • 3653 posts
  • Interests:Trail running, biking, hanging with reptiles, camping, traveling,
    beach bumming, enjoying the endless string of Saturdays...

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

Wow. Bonkers indeed !

Thanks for the input Dr. Johnnie.

#11 Tgirl

Tgirl

• Red Lizards
  • 4215 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

And there is one important factor that hasn't been addressed in this thread. 

There is a reasonably good chance that the Willamette valley will be pretty cloudy at 10 AM on August 21st. What then?

"The real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgivable, is the violence that we do to ourselves when we're too afraid to be who we really are." Lana Wachowski.

#12 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10793 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

There is a reasonably good chance that the Willamette valley will be pretty cloudy at 10 AM on August 21st. What then?

Clouds in August?!?  Blasphemy!

Depending upon whether others are flexible or not, we may just have to adjust our plans as we start seeing a long range or 10-day forecast that includes Aug 21 

#13 Tgirl

Tgirl

• Red Lizards
  • 4215 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

Depending upon whether others are flexible or not, we may just have to adjust our plans as we start seeing a long range or 10-day forecast that includes Aug 21

Works for me. I could be on the road before 6 AM that morning if the need arose.

#14 Tgirl

Tgirl

• Red Lizards
  • 4215 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

Do you know where we could get some help with the weather forecast ?

#15 allezvita

allezvita

motivationally challenged

• Red Lizards
  • 6677 posts
  • Interests:running, dogs, travel, good beer, good wine, good food

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

Most of the places on the coast near Pacific City/Neskowin are booked and they are anticipating huge crowds. We all know the roads are narrow, winding, and busy on a regular summer day so this is really going to be something. The coastal communities, while looking forward to some economic stimulus from this, are already worried about the environmental impact and the possible casualty list from people on the beach who think the ocean is pretty but don't understand the power of it. 

I was at our place in Pacific City this week and with the number of storms over the winter (last Friday out there was pretty epic) - there is a lot of beach erosion and places from the dune to the river that are not passable on the beach at high tide. You can't drive on the beach from Staub State Park at this point and it it too steep to walk down from there. 

If you don't have a place to stay now, you probably won't find one. If you do, leave early, drive safe and expect long delays. 

I don't think you'll be able to get a better idea on the weather until about a month out - and even then it's still conjecture. Maybe ask McWeather about it. 

"unless you're doing chest compressions, you always have time to go to the bathroom"

"bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi"
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept my word

Plan your dive, dive your plan

when life gives you lemons, add booze

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users