Photo

Tour de Goose Stage 2: The Goozard Challenge (10am 7/13, Washington Park)

Tour de Goose Goozard Challenge

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Qatar Flange

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2950 posts
  • Interests:Orienteering, Running, Geocaching, all the usual backpacking/camping/hiking/climbing stuff

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

The ever popular Goozard Challenge is back!  This Saturday, August 13, will be Stage 2 of the 2013 Tour de Goose.  Forecast is for sunny skies with a high of 81, perfect Challenge weather! 

What:  How does one define the Goozard Challenge?  Each year, it's something different!  Rest assured there will be running, puzzles, physical challenges, map reading, teamwork, adventures, and an all around good time in general!  Show up, participate, and be ready for anything!  The running portion should be between 3 and 5 miles, depending on how good you can read a map!
Where: Washington Park, Picnic Area AA, as in A.  This is not where we had it last year, which was Picnic Area C.  Picnic Area A is at 1713 SW Kingston Avenue, right across from the Rose Garden Gift Shop.  45.517854, -122.706653, to be exact.  Registration, start, finish, and barbecue all occur here.  Park anywhere along the street.

When: Saturday, July 13.  Registration is from 9:45am to 10:00am.  Form your teams of four ahead of time, or at registration, or wait for us to assign you. The Challenge will start shortly after 10:00am, and should take one to two hours.  Late comers can start late, but you will be at a disadvantage.  Course closes at noon, please be back to the start by then, finished or not.

Who:  Teams of four are optimal, but three to five will work also.  Form your teams ahead of time, or let us assign you.  Walking teams are welcome, but remember to be back by noon.  Please, if you're walking, don't join a running team, as they will be racing for glory and you don't want to slow the peleton!  Also, you can spectate or volunteer.

Cost: We're asking for a contribution of $5 per day (or $10 for all four days) to help offset our expenses, but your contribution will get you tickets for the post-run raffle (see Loot below).  Also each member will need $3 on their person during the race for an undisclosed expense.  If you are short on cash, feel free to reduce your contribution.  But each member will need to have $3 to complete the race.

Special Equipment Needed:  Each team should have one person with a text enabled cell phone.  As mentioned above, each competitor will need $3 on their person during the race.  Otherwise, regular running gear and a sense of adventure is all you need. 

Points: In each stage of the tour you earn 50 to 100 points. 50 for last place (the Lanterne Rogue) up to 100 for first. In this stage, each person on a team will get the same number of points.  There will also be some bonus points out there for the quick-witted and worthy!

Loot: If the spirit of competition is not reward enough, there will be opportunities for tangible loot. First and foremost, after scores are tallied and combined with Stage 1 results, the Polka Dot Jerseys will be presented to the male and female points leaders. We will also raffle raffle off goodies from our sponsors (see Cost above.)

Post Challenge Barbecue: After the Challenge (around noon), we will have a potluck barbecue at the start/finish site.  The success of this depends on someone taking charge of it, as I will be busy scoring runners, so somebody please feel free to step up to the plate!  In the past, TRL has sprung for burgers, dogs, and buns, and the rest is potluck.  Hopefully that can come together again. :smile:

Tour Info: See this thread for general information on the Tour.

Vive le Tour! See you Saturday!

Life is short and we have not too much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel the way with us.
Oh, be swift to love. Make haste to be kind.
- Henri Frederic Amiel

#2 bhavred

bhavred

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

Yep! see you all there!

#3 Jeff M

Jeff M

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 2647 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Here's a map that shows where Picnic Site A is.

I'll bring some fruit for the pot-luck. Looking forward to this!

If I had some ham I could make ham and eggs if I had some eggs.

#4 Joe D.

Joe D.

Class Clown

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10381 posts
  • Interests:Running (duh), games, puzzles, basketball, soccer, music (listening), skipping rocks

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

I am extremely disappointed to miss this, since I will be gone this weekend.  The Goozard Challenge is always a blast!

Of course, if the thread title is correct, and this was on 6/13, then I've already missed it  :wink:  But if it's scheduled for August 13th, as the instructions say, then I can make it after all  :thumbsup:  (And if the weird, inconsistent dates are actually some kind of clue, I hope I didn't spoil anything)  :shifty:

Have fun, and I really wish I could be there...

"I run best when I run free." - Steve Prefontaine

"I never go out too fast; sometimes I just finish too slowly!" - Joe Dudman

#5 Steve

Steve

Qatar Flange

• Red Lizards
  • 2950 posts
  • Interests:Orienteering, Running, Geocaching, all the usual backpacking/camping/hiking/climbing stuff

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

I am extremely disappointed to miss this, since I will be gone this weekend.  The Goozard Challenge is always a blast!

Of course, if the thread title is correct, and this was on 6/13, then I've already missed it  :wink:  But if it's scheduled for August 13th, as the instructions say, then I can make it after all  :thumbsup:  (And if the weird, inconsistent dates are actually some kind of clue, I hope I didn't spoil anything)  :shifty:

Have fun, and I really wish I could be there...

Doh!  If some friendly Admin could change the Thread Title date to 7/13, I would be most appreciative!

Sorry you won't be there to participate Joe!

Life is short and we have not too much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel the way with us.
- Henri Frederic Amiel

#6 Kate

Kate

Board Member At Large

• Board Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1771 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Topic and text edited to reflect correct date. 

I'm there! I will probably be available to volunteer. 

#7 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10773 posts
  • Interests:I always love flyfishing. Occasionally I like running...

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Post Challenge Barbecue: After the Challenge (around noon), we will have a potluck barbecue at the start/finish site.  The success of this depends on someone taking charge of it, as I will be busy scoring runners, so somebody please feel free to step up to the plate!  In the past, TRL has sprung for burgers, dogs, and buns, and the rest is potluck.  Hopefully that can come together again. :smile:

The BBQ is on!  It wouldn't be the Goozard without a post-event gathering with some food and beverage.

I will plan to bring the grill (ok, Bhavana has it, so hopefully she will bring it), but I will have fuel, a SPATULA (sorry, joke for those who were at the 4th of July BBQ), burgers, dogs, buns, and some plates, utensils and paper towels/napkins.  Who wants to bring other essential items?  Condiments, chips, salads, fruit, beer or other beverages.  Post here so we can make sure we don't have 12 bottles of ketchup and a lot of beer (although I could probably make that combo work ;))

#8 Marianne N

Marianne N

Newt

• Red Lizards
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Working out at LA Fitness (Spinning, Body Works Abs, Aqua Fit), Running, Biking, Walking, Hiking, Travel, Festivals, Wine & Beer Tasting

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

I'd love to join this event if anyone is interested in a walking team.  

#9 bostonrunner

bostonrunner

Gecko

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

I can either participate or volunteer, whichever is needed.

#10 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10773 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Speed between stations isn't required.  And the way the teams get split up, there isn't a team that is all walkers.  The teams get sorted so that fast and slow are all mixed together - the time limiter is solving puzzles, finding clues, and whatever else is required at each station.  This is less about running (likely only 2-3 miles total), and more about ability to find information and work with your team to get as many stations as possible completed in the allotted time.

#11 Jeff M

Jeff M

Komodo Dragon

• Red Lizards
  • 2647 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Marianne, You can be on my team!

If I had some ham I could make ham and eggs if I had some eggs.

#12 Steve

Steve

Qatar Flange

• Red Lizards
  • 2950 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

I will bring condiments, some beer, ice chests, ice, and some chips. Thanks again Torrey for driving the barbecue!
- Henri Frederic Amiel

#13 Torrey

Torrey

Communications Director

• Admin
  • 10773 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

I will bring condiments, some beer, ice chests, ice, and some chips. Thanks again Torrey for driving the barbecue!

No problem, Steve.  It wouldn't be the same without the post-event hang out.

#14 bhavred

bhavred

Leapin' Lizard

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

I will bring fruit and a salad and another cooler with ice.

#15 Toneby

Toneby

Gecko

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:kayaking, climbing, mountain biking and running!

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

Can the pups participate in this challenge?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tour de Goose, Goozard Challenge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users