Photo

DePaul Ladies group needs more female volunteers..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Linda

Linda

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:40 AM

Right now we have about 6 or 7 regular volunteers, which is a little thin. Each run requires 2 volunteers- one to walk and one to run. Ideally it would be perfect if we could have 3 volunteers each Wednesday- a runner, a run/walker and a walker.

If you haven't yet participated in this rewarding experience, I would encourage you, and maybe even a friend, to give a try. Don't worry about not knowing the route, the girls will help you along the way.

To be a regular volunteer, after trying it out a couple times, you must go through an interview, a background check and drug test.

Wednesdays
5:25 sharp-6:30pm

1312 SW Washington
Depaul Treatment Center

About Depaul

#2 Kate

Kate

Board Member At Large

• Board Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1771 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

I would love to get involved with this but my work schedule prevents me from coming half the year. Isn't there also an early morning group?

#3 Linda

Linda

Iguana

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

Ugh- never fails a typo! Sorry everyone in the "Topic" subject line. Oh well..

Kate- I think there is a morning group still, but I dont have any of the information on it. You could email Julie Jacobson, I think she has run it before. Thank you so mucuh for wanting to help out. :)

#4 Amygirl

Amygirl

Tyrannosaurus Rex

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3907 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

There is no morning group for the women.

To become a volunteer you don't have to commit every Wed. Usually one Wed a month and it doesn't have to be the same every month. We send out a calender and the volunteers fill it in.

Even if you can be on the on-call list and only do it once in a while would be great!

#5 BeckyD

BeckyD

Newt

• Red Lizards
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

I'm posting a little bit more info about the program from some volunteer guidelines we just put together.

About the Downtown Residential Treatment Center
The downtown Portland location (1312 SW Washington St., Portland, Oregon 97205) offers adult residential treatment as well as outpatient services. Residential stays are individualized based on the needs of each client, and can vary from weeks to months. Services are gender-specific, with separate living quarters, treatment groups, meals, and recreational activities for men and women. Clients may be self-referred or be referred by a family member, a parole officer, Department of Human Services, Drug court, doctor, or another referral agency. Residential clients spend 40 plus hours in residential and outpatient treatment groups and classes each week. Days are highly structured, and outings from the residential center are generally allowed only with passes and/or supervision.

About the Running Program
The Red Lizards partnered with DePaul to provide volunteers to lead a supervised run / walk once a week for female clients of the residential center. The run/walk is currently held on Wednesday evenings from 5:30 to 6:30 PM. Since clients may not leave the center to go for a run or walk on their own, this allows an opportunity for exercise and fresh air. De Paul residential staff lead supervised runs on certain other days of the week, and yoga classes are taught at the center several days a week. Clients are grateful for a chance to get outside and to get some exercise. They really appreciate having the volunteers come lead the runs.

Becoming a Volunteer
Because of the needs of the clients served at De Paul, there is a fairly rigorous screening program in place for new volunteers. Prospective volunteers are allowed to observe on two occasions in order to decide whether to become a volunteer. Prospective volunteers should stay with a volunteer who has been through the screening process when they come to observe. Volunteers should be willing to commit to at least a 6 month time-frame.

#6 Julie

Julie

Reptile Runner

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Becky! I'll be volunteering Wednesday 10/5 at 5:30 so if anyone is interested in the program and want to see what it is like, PM me and let me know. Prepare for no more than a 4 mile run with a some walk breaks.

The women at Depaul are some of my favorite running partners ever. Their commitment to getting well is incredible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users