Photo

Track Workouts from 2008 - present (ongoing thread)

• Please log in to reply
645 replies to this topic

#61 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5812 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

We'll do some M pace this week, for our last dark night. (Daylight next week! Oh Wow! O Joy! O...whatever... Not to mention warmer...)

Anyway, let's have a bit of exotic "M" fun

1 x 800 (400)
1 x 700 (300)
1 x 600 (400)
1 x 500 (300)
1 x 600 (400)
1 x 700 (300)
1 x 800

That's only 4700m, but you're doing it all fast enough that you won't really miss the normal 100m extra. Decent recoveries on this one, since it's faster than L pace. But be careful not to hit it at S pace, or coming back up the ladder will be tougher than you want.

#62 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, hiking, geophysics, cross-country skiing, toxicology, bicycle touring (especially carrying all my gear with me).

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

We'll continue with a mix of L and M today, but we'll keep them relatively short with Shamrock taper in mind. (No mile repeats)

4 x 800 @ L (200)
3 x 600 @ M (400)

Don't do the last 600 if you're planning the 15K, and don't push the pace too hard on the other 600s. 5K/8K people should be fine to start taper tomorrow.

Rick

#63 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

My apologies. No time to post a workout this week, but there WILL be track and I WILL be there. Running Times suddenly had a 5-page hole, and I have 48 hours to generate 3,000 words to fill it, so I have to be efficient during business hours. Sorry. In a recession, the self-employed do not turn down work.

#64 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

My apologies again for last week, but I pulled a real rabbit out of the hat for Running Times, which you'll get to read in about 2 months, I think, maybe sooner (it went to the printer on Monday, but its the June issue whenever that hits the stands).

Anyway, this week's workout will be more L and M, so that we get a mix of endurance and some speed. I'm getting as tired of this weather as everyone else, and looking forward to getting out of tights and track pants and blasting a few warm weather workouts. Just think, in a few months folks are going to be complaining about too hot. For the moment, that sounds like heaven.

The workout:

1 x 1 mile @ L (you knew it was coming eventually) (400)
1 x 600-400-600 @ L (400)
2 x 800 @ M (400)

For those who weren't there, last week's workout was quarters, but in sets of 4 on very short recovery (32 sec for me), so you're prepped for miles so long as you don't go too fast.

See you there!

#65 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:14 PM

We'll do more L&M this week. Drum roll...1000s.

3 x 1000 @ L (400)
4 x 500 @ M (300)

If you want, you can do the 500s in pairs on a float. Then they'd be at L pace or a touch faster, depending on how hard you float. There would then be 300 between sets.

In case you're wondering, I'm saving 1200s for dry chips! Chips! Chips! One of these days. Right now, probably major mud....

#66 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

It's spring! Hurrah! If I can set up the logistics, we'll do a version of a workout that really perked me up for my recent, well, perk-up: hill repeats. We'll do 'em on Terwilliger, just above the chips. I'll explain the protocol when we get there (I need to check the course and make sure that what I want actually works). We'll do strides on the track then jog up to the start.

If the logistics don't work, we'll do 12s and 2s (which is what the out-of-towners can do): 3 x 1200 @L (400) + 6 x 200 @S (200).

The hill repeats can be run fairly continuously, for a mostly aerobic/M-pace substitute, or hard, on longer recoveries. (Basically, your recovery is coming back down the hill.) I'll set up the cones to mark the start and end (I'll need to buy a 5th cone; hope I remember). They'll be spaced about 100-125m apart. You'll do sets of this for a predetermined period of time (which I'll announce once I've set up the course). Then we'll all quit together and cool down as a group.

#67 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

Workout for April 14. Pre-tax day. Can't think of anything 1040-ish. Well, I guess we could do 1000s and 40s, but we won't.. Instead, it'll be 12s and 6s.

Here's the formula:

2 x 1200 (400) @ L
4 x 600 (400) @ M

#68 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

Oh wow, spring! For real. (Mabye).

We'll take advantage of it for a workout I've been saving for such conditions: 12s & 2s.

3 x 1200 @ L (400)
6 x 200 @ S (200)

If possible (i.e., if we can get a clear path) we'll alternate chips and track on the 1200s. When we were up there for hill repeats a couple weeks ago, they looked in good condition. Out of towners, just do 1200s. Basically, the "chips" is a 1200m course that has 800m of chips and sidewalk. Puts a bit more strength work into what is designed, from the outset, as a combo strength and aerobics workout.

#69 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

This week's workout (by request) will be a whistle workout. But expect a difference from the norm.... Fun'n games!

Rick

#70 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

No whistles this week I promise. We'll to 5s and things like that.

Specifically,

3 sets 500-500 @ L (300 recoveries)
4 x 500 @M (300)

See ya' there!

Rick

#71 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

Nothing big that I know of coming up next weekend. So, let's do a nice little workout. To wit:

1 x 1 mile (400)
1 x 600-400-600 (400) both at L pace

4 x 400 @ S (400)

You didn't think I'd let you get away all spring without another mile repeat, right?

#72 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

First, an apology. The workout for May 19 was 300s. I was running errands and didn't have internet access to post it at the normal time.

For the record, it was

2 sets: 300-300-300-300-300 (500) @L

6 x 300 @ S

#73 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:58 AM

We're going to go all S this week. (In case you'd not guessed, I was working up to that!) But we can mix it up a bit, just to keep it from getting boring.

4 x 400 (400)
4 x 300 (300)
3 to 6 x 200 (200)

That's it. Short and sweet. Well sweet anyway.

Rick

#74 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

June 2...

We'll go back to L pace this week (though some folks will probably push it a bit). The workout:

12 x 400 (200)

But there will be a twist. For those who want to play, this will be a precision pacing competition. Kind of like a predict, but for 400s . . . over and over. We've not done this for a while, largely because it's been too wet. I'll bring paper, so people can keep track. But with the group as large as it is, scoring will be done by you guys. Otherwise, it'll take a couple of hours.

If it rains, we'll postpone this workout and do something similar. Lots of little bits of wet paper aren't my idea of a good way to score a competition. But the odds are pretty good it'll be dry.

#75 Rick Lovett

Rick Lovett

Coach

• Red Lizards
  • 5812 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

We'll do summer comfort food tonight, even if it's 2 weeks early...

12s & 2s. Chips if nobody else is in the way.

For those not up on this:

3 x 1200, the first and 3rd on the cross-country "upper" track course. I'll show you the route. L pace, 400m recoveries.
6 x 200. S pace. 200m recoveries.

Nice day, nice workout.

Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users